Red Sex-link???? Help!

SoCha

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Canada
My Coop
My Coop
So we want a new chicken in our coop. We have found a red-sex link but we have no idea what it is, we tried searching on the web but nothing came up. So can someone please answer these questions!?!?

- What breed are they? I found out that they are two or more different breeds together, but which?
- Are they winter hardy? I live in Canada where the winters can get very cold, so would they be able to live through winter?
- Can they live with Sussex? I have two Light Sussex, and we want to buy one Red sex-link, would this be okay?
- How many eggs do they produce per year?
- And would they be friendly and docile? Would they run away from me?
-How long do they live? We found one that is 18 months old, how much time does she have left?

Someone please answer me!
bow.gif
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Red sex links are not a specific cross. They are any bird that results from a cross of parents that creates a red sex linked offspring. So it could be a rhode island red over a rhode island white, a buff brahma over a light brahma, etc.

I have some and live in VT and they handle the cold fine.

I don't see why you couldn't keep one with sussexes.

If you are buying one from a hatchery, they are a hybrid created to lay a lot of eggs, so you will get a lot of eggs from them.

Whether they will allow you to handle them or not will depend on on the individual bird. In general though they are fairly calm.

Back
Top Bottom