Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
6 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
So I'll just cut to the chase and say its about confusion of Red sex-link hybrids. I've heard so many different names for these birds that all look the same, my questions are: Are they grouped as red sex-links and the other names branch off from there? Lets see if I can say this better. You are given a Red Star, ISA Brown, and a Golden Comet they are all red sex-links but they have their each individual sub names. Is this because of the different breeds used to make them? Or because each hatchery has a copy righted name for the red sex-link hybrid they sell? I hope this wasn't to confusing...... I would appreciate input and knowledge :).

Here are all the different hybrid names I've seen for chickens that look like Red sex-links:
Red Star
Brown Star
Gold Star
Golden Comet
ISA Brown
Cinnamon Queen
Golden sex-link
Red Shaver
Lohman Brown
and I'm sure there are more :p

I have a flock of, I guess, straight RSL's. RIR hens mixed with WLH Roo's. Some of the best brown layers I've ever had. I got 'em on sale 1 week old from Tractor Supply, 'the last 16 they had' for 2$ ea. 1 turned out to be a Roo. This is an older pic.
IMG_3235.JPG

I have a flock of, I guess, straight RSL's. RIR hens mixed with WLH Roo's. Some of the best brown layers I've ever had. I got 'em on sale 1 week old from Tractor Supply, 'the last 16 they had' for 2$ ea. 1 turned out to be a Roo. This is an older pic.
View attachment 1158519
I had two RSL's and they were great layers as well.

Anyone else able to give me input?

View attachment 1158519

Nice looking birds! However, whoever told you their parentage was mistaken - you wouldn't get red sex links from breeding a white leghorn rooster to rhode island red hens. Yours are definitely red sex links judging by their looks, they just didn't have those parents :)

Same thing here. I bought 3 hens 7 months old just starting to lay. Was told by the owner they are red sex links. His uncle was there when i picked them up. He said something about golden comets. Either way, I've had them 6 days and they started laying the second day. Very docile. They are going to work out well. I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom