Red sex links, old or ill?

Just a quick update on the girls. First I want to thank you all for your help. Your quick response and push to get me some badly needed hen education has been a blessing. We lost our precious Hippychicky later that day, so miss her =(. We have been very diligent on checking the crops on all the others. Another of the reds had an extremely hard crop and was very thin. We went into action and today our little again bossy red is up and at em! Thank you again for your encouragement.

Just a quick update on the girls. First I want to thank you all for your help. Your quick response and push to get me some badly needed hen education has been a blessing. We lost our precious Hippychicky later that day, so miss her =(. We have been very diligent on checking the crops on all the others. Another of the reds had an extremely hard crop and was very thin. We went into action and today our little again bossy red is up and at em! Thank you again for your encouragement.

Good afternoon, after 2 days of hand feeding and water to get red started she’s still very thin. I’ve been giving apple cider vinegar water also with her special lunch time treats of watermelon, lettuce and Cheerios. I’ve noticed her quickly wanting all the juice from the melon. She has had a good poop and her crop seems empty first thing in the morning. Any ideas to get some weight in her? She eats the layer feed and oyster shells in the morning first thing but looks all bloated first thing. I have to pick her up and encourage her first few minutes she’s up

High energy foods like canned fish in oil tuna, salmon, sardines, mackrel.
Eggs, boiled, scrambled even just cracked raw if she'll eat it.:)
Good afternoon, after 2 days of hand feeding and water to get red started she’s still very thin. I’ve been giving apple cider vinegar water also with her special lunch time treats of watermelon, lettuce and Cheerios. I’ve noticed her quickly wanting all the juice from the melon. She has had a good poop and her crop seems empty first thing in the morning. Any ideas to get some weight in her? She eats the layer feed and oyster shells in the morning first thing but looks all bloated first thing. I have to pick her up and encourage her first few minutes she’s up

I would let her have watermelon is she's interested in that. Eliminate the lettuce and cheerios, no food value in those really. I agree, egg, fish or a bit of meat would be good along with her normal feed. She may prefer wet mushy feed right now instead of dry, so try that too (feed+water and let soak about 30mins).

Can you tell us more about her looking bloated first thing - is that her crop, just being fluffed up, her abdomen below the vent between the legs, etc.? Does she have any fluid in the abdomen?

I would let her have watermelon is she's interested in that. Eliminate the lettuce and cheerios, no food value in those really. I agree, egg, fish or a bit of meat would be good along with her normal feed. She may prefer wet mushy feed right now instead of dry, so try that too (feed+water and let soak about 30mins).

Can you tell us more about her looking bloated first thing - is that her crop, just being fluffed up, her abdomen below the vent between the legs, etc.? Does she have any fluid in the abdomen?

It’s her appearance I believe, the fluffy feather look. She squawks, but that’s my girl. How can I check the ab fluid?

9B3DEEE0-3026-4F6F-8FC2-AE187B576D26.jpeg
It’s her appearance I believe, the fluffy feather look. She squawks, but that’s my girl. How can I check the ab fluid?
Here’s red this afternoon after their nap.

I have two hens currently that are under weight, and I've been giving them crumbled tofu each day sprinkled with Poultry Nutri-drench. Also boiled egg and black sun flower seeds are high in nutrition and will put weight on.

These are high energy foods and will inspire a better appetite.
Thank you so much, I’ll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom