Red sex links, old or ill?

To check the abdomen, feel between the legs below the vent, compare her to some of the other girls. Do you notice if she walks with a wide stance and waddles?

I feel nothing but bones =(. She’s very skinny. Sometimes waddles not usually. This morning there was a mushy egg by her in the coop. There are 2 older reds with her there at night so not sure who laid it. Her crop was soft this morning and she gave me the squawk as she does when I pick her up, but went on her way after I picked her up and put her outside. Last night we gave her some watermelon and she was not thrilled on sharing. We have a fenced area that we let the 3 older outside of together. Then the younger birds don’t bother them. I hand fed her the watermelon to her delight but she seems more interested in the juice. We got some chunk tuna in oil as some had suggested for weight gain going to try this this morning. Also going to give some pellets soaked in maybe watermelon juice to her to keep her hydrated.
Thank you so much for your help

I feel nothing but bones =(. She’s very skinny. Sometimes waddles not usually. This morning there was a mushy egg by her in the coop. There are 2 older reds with her there at night so not sure who laid it. Her crop was soft this morning and she gave me the squawk as she does when I pick her up, but went on her way after I picked her up and put her outside. Last night we gave her some watermelon and she was not thrilled on sharing. We have a fenced area that we let the 3 older outside of together. Then the younger birds don’t bother them. I hand fed her the watermelon to her delight but she seems more interested in the juice. We got some chunk tuna in oil as some had suggested for weight gain going to try this this morning. Also going to give some pellets soaked in maybe watermelon juice to her to keep her hydrated.
B960B794-917F-4AC3-9796-4884BA100577.jpeg DCE4B3DF-8774-4DD3-BE59-602A8A0A264B.jpeg 137FF5CD-3D45-4C60-8327-7426A2AB2720.jpeg

Here’s our Ms Red , she loves the eggs. Here’s poop this morning, maybe due to the watermelon last night?

I feel nothing but bones =(. She’s very skinny. Sometimes waddles not usually. This morning there was a mushy egg by her in the coop. There are 2 older reds with her there at night so not sure who laid it. Her crop was soft this morning and she gave me the squawk as she does when I pick her up, but went on her way after I picked her up and put her outside. Last night we gave her some watermelon and she was not thrilled on sharing.
LOL Sometimes they don't like the share. Melon is a good way to get fluids into them if they are not drinking very well.
She's a lovely girl, I'm hoping the mushy egg (soft shell/shell-less?) was hers - sometimes this type of egg is very hard to pass and makes them feel unwell. Did you notice if there was a discharge from her vent?

If the crop was soft and not empty this morning before eating/drinking, then I would monitor that for a few more days. If she eats the tuna with oil, that may help get things moving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

LOL Sometimes they don't like the share. Melon is a good way to get fluids into them if they are not drinking very well.
She's a lovely girl, I'm hoping the mushy egg (soft shell/shell-less?) was hers - sometimes this type of egg is very hard to pass and makes them feel unwell. Did you notice if there was a discharge from her vent?

If the crop was soft and not empty this morning before eating/drinking, then I would monitor that for a few more days. If she eats the tuna with oil, that may help get things moving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Might try the coconut oil, she tends to eat very well out of my hand so hopefully can get some in her.
The shell-less egg was by her, there are 2 other reds with her, I kept the younger birds in the outdoor coop last night and will continue until she’s better. No discharge from her vent, she’s usually very clean. Lethargic off and on, tail feathers down, maybe because she’s so thin. Food comes and she’s all about it especially when the others are around. I gave her soaked pellets and she was all about those as well. Maybe my imagination or hopefully answered prayer, she’s feeling a little fatter. Lol I took her and “sister” for a walk in the open yard and flower beds and she was pretty content. When we got close to their yard I called them and she was moving pretty good, alert to my call. Dinner for her soon, eggs and soaked pellets again.

Back
Top Bottom