Red sex links, old or ill?

Katies Corner

Chirping
Sep 6, 2019
Hi we are having issues with our 3 and a half year old reds and it seems to be affecting our younger 17 month old buff orps. The hens are eating and drinking but have developed downed combs that are turning black. Not seeing much aggression from older birds but sometimes have a stool that arrears to be “yokey ”in color. We have one down for a day now lethargic and yesterday vomited like things were not getting through even though she is having stools.
Please if there are any ideas what the cause or please what I can do to treat it. Thank you

"Downed combs turning black" needs a photo backup. While a floppy comb this time of year, unless you live in New Zealand or Australia, means molt, a comb turning black can signify dangerous illness, cancer or cardio/pulmonary issues.

The yolky poop can indicate internal laying, a ruptured egg, and infection. A photo of the poop could help.

Vomiting can indicated a crop disorder or gizzard obstruction. Feel the crop for over fullness or signs of lumpiness indicating it could be impacted. Is there any sour odor? Crops need to be checked in the morning to verify a disorder because normal crops are empty after sleeping all night.

CC909CE3-87C1-4EFD-A44E-ED11A3955C5A.jpeg Trying to stand with no luck

having issues with our 3 and a half year old reds and it seems to be affecting our younger 17 month old buff orps. The hens are eating and drinking but have developed downed combs that are turning black.

stool that arrears to be “yokey ”in color. We have one down for a day now lethargic and yesterday vomited like things were not getting through even though she is having stools
You mention that you are having issues with 3 of your reds (what are the issues?), but it's affecting the BO's.
Are ALL of them having combs turning black.
ALL are having yolky poop?

I'm sorry your BO does not look well at all. Where are you located in the world?
Photos of poop may be helpful.

Let us know what her crop feels like, if she has a sour smell to her breath. Any lesions, sores or canker inside the beak. Feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid. When is the last time she laid an egg?

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to gather more info - if ALL are like this, then think about whether they got into something rotten or toxic.

Have you wormed your flock - do you have a vet that can run a fecal float to look for worms?

She’s one of our original 8 we have 4 of them mostly affecting the reds, no smells, hasn't laid for a while. We are in Nortwest Indiana. The one in the picture is the one who vomited yesterday, mostly watery no smell that I detected. Snapped at a fly bothering her yesterday and is trying to get up but can’t. She was lunging her head up Sunday like she was chocking. I didn’t feel anything and checked her vent, it’s clear.

I am so sorry that your birds are sick. I wish I could give advice but I have never seen a comb or poop like that. Is the crop empty or full?

Back
Top Bottom