Red sexlinked versus rhode Island red.

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
I think these two are related? But if you were to pick one over the other one when it comes to egg production, cold/ heat tolerance and hardiness in general, which would you pick?

I think these two are related? But if you were to pick one over the other one when it comes to egg production, cold/ heat tolerance and hardiness in general, which would you pick?
I ❤️ my sexlink! She's 6 (approximately- not 100% sure because she was a rescue) and still lays huge brown eggs daily. She laid all through 95°+ days as well as snowy days. She's also pretty smart and very friendly.

That said, I only have the one, so she might ne an exception rather than the rule, if you know what I mean.

RIR males are used to produce red sexlinks. I have two sexlinks myself. They lay very well, are hardy, and are dual purpose. One down side is that they don't tend to live very long (at least thats what I hear from others). My two girls on going on....2-3 years now and still lay well. I don't have RIRs to compare to.

There are two different kinds of Red Sex Links that we buy from the hatcheries. The commercial egg-laying hybrids have nothing to do with a Rhode Island Red. They have been developed through selective breeding to lay a lot of "Large" size eggs and have excellent feed to egg conversion rates. They are relatively small, probably about the size of a leghorn. These are egg laying machines but tend to run into some medical problems after they have been laying a year or two.

The other type of Red Sex Links are made by crossing two regular chicken breeds. A red male is used. This might be a Rhode Island Red Rooster but other red roosters are sometimes used, New Hampshire for example. The hen will have silver. Some common hens used are White Rock, Rhode Island Whites, Silver Laced Wyandottes, or Delaware but others are possible. These also lay a lot of eggs but they may or may not be Large. The egg size will depend on what they inherit from their parents. Their bodies are going to be the same size as their parents which are larger than the commercial red sex links. For all intents and purposes they aren't that different from hatchery Rhode Island Reds as far as egg laying, cold/heat tolerance, and hardiness.

If you can tell us which hatchery you would buy them from and what marketing name they call them we might be able to tell you which type of Red Sex Link.

There are two different kinds of Red Sex Links that we buy from the hatcheries. The commercial egg-laying hybrids have nothing to do with a Rhode Island Red. They have been developed through selective breeding to lay a lot of "Large" size eggs and have excellent feed to egg conversion rates. They are relatively small, probably about the size of a leghorn. These are egg laying machines but tend to run into some medical problems after they have been laying a year or two.

The other type of Red Sex Links are made by crossing two regular chicken breeds. A red male is used. This might be a Rhode Island Red Rooster but other red roosters are sometimes used, New Hampshire for example. The hen will have silver. Some common hens used are White Rock, Rhode Island Whites, Silver Laced Wyandottes, or Delaware but others are possible. These also lay a lot of eggs but they may or may not be Large. The egg size will depend on what they inherit from their parents. Their bodies are going to be the same size as their parents which are larger than the commercial red sex links. For all intents and purposes they aren't that different from hatchery Rhode Island Reds as far as egg laying, cold/heat tolerance, and hardiness.

If you can tell us which hatchery you would buy them from and what marketing name they call them we might be able to tell you which type of Red Sex Link.
Thank you for this explanation, is very helpful. I would be getting them from local farms. One of the farms have barnyard mixes, unknown what they come from and also the red sexlinked.
The other local farm crosses their Delawares with Rhode Island red so I was trying to decide what would the best choice would be. I don't really mind much about the size of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom