Red silkies

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
Can silkie hens not be red like the roosters?
I got a year old silkie rooster this year and hatch some chicks from him and non of the hens where red, but I got 3 red rooster from him tho
So I was wondering why is that? Is this a color that the hens don’t get?

Here’s picture of the rooster when he came to me ❤️

Attachments

• ED0C3B99-7FEE-4678-8226-49AF09D326B0.jpeg
    ED0C3B99-7FEE-4678-8226-49AF09D326B0.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 19
Yes hens can be red. The roosters always seemed a bit darker because of the male feathering in hackles, saddles and back.
What was he bred to that produced the chicks?
Your rooster is a black tailed red he will not be throwing a bunch of crazy colored chicks unless he's bred to a bunch of different colored hens.

I have only really ever seen a red Silkie Rooster not entirely sure though
Can silkie hens not be red like the roosters?
I got a year old silkie rooster this year and hatch some chicks from him and non of the hens where red, but I got 3 red rooster from him tho
So I was wondering why is that? Is this a color that the hens don’t get?

Here’s picture of the rooster when he came to me ❤️

yes you can have buff (red) hens. I don’t know the exact genetics of the colors but to me it looks as if your rooster carries color genes for buff, blue, and white so there would be a chance of any colors with dominating colors dependent on hen. not sex linked in silkies to my knowledge so the roosters coincidental. others may be able to give you more info on this subject as i’m definitely not an expert....just giving my opinion based on observation.

My hens are one is white, one black one (brown, partridge I think it’s called) and one that I don’t know what the color is called but she’s mostly grey but has some light brown in here to

Here’s a picture of her, she’s the one behind the brown hen

Attachments

• A3E479C7-FFE2-4E11-A982-E8B552AC0A13.jpeg
    A3E479C7-FFE2-4E11-A982-E8B552AC0A13.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 11
But I have some chicks now and got some more colours, I got silver partridge 2 more grey, 1 more white and a black hen with silver on here neck and few brown ones, so when they start laying there will maybe be more colours when I hatch out chicks from them next summer ❤️

Back
Top Bottom