Red Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Does anyone have them? I have a couple who look very red but are supposed to be Buff. Just wondering now what a Red should look like.

2. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    No one has Red Silkies? [​IMG] Sounds like a project.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Here is a link so you can see the difference. For more BYC references to reds, do a "search" for Red Silkies in the BYC search box, at the top right hand corner of the page. You may try PMing some of the folks that posted pics to see if they sell eggs or chicks. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=353352

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you Debbi!

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Perhaps what I have are Ginger Buffs then. They have black in their tails and are much darker than any Buff colored breed I have seen. So, it got me thinkin'. I am hatching more eggs from the same breeder, so we will see what we get in 3 weeks. [​IMG]

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Post some pics of yours, I'd love to see them! I have a very red boy, the one on the left in my avatar pic. He was born Partridge colored, and now is almost completely red or dark buff. Still not sure what he is yet. [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A red silkie would be about the colour of a New Hampshire (or even darker), not the same hue as buff at all. I see more and more people think buff should be a pale yellow colour, and that is not correct. Buff is a vibrant "guinea gold" colour. In this instance, "guinea" refers to a gold coin, not bird. Males are darker than females, but still gold in colour.

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for speaking up, Sonoran.
    I see lots of pictures of Buffs on here and they are just so, well, Buff. Mine are just a gingery kind of color, not really red, not really buff. I will post pictures now that my laptop has been fixed. However, now my cameras all seem to be pooping out on my now. [​IMG]

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

10. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    We bought 3 Reds at an auction a few weeks ago. I would post pics but someone said you can't post pics until you have like 25 comments. I'm getting there! I could send you what we have to you email.
    Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by