Red skinned "purebred" frizzled cochin rooster

Albanydog

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Central Oregon Coast
He is about 10 months old, raised him from a chick. He has always been kind of ugly, shabby looking and very light on feathers. Because he always appears shabby we thought maybe he was a super frizzled? I recently noticed his skin is very red over most of his body. I put him in quarantine and have just started searching for information on such a condition. He seems to be eating and drinking just fine. He has always been very skittish, screams wildly when you pick him up, so I didn't want to handle him too much and upset him to get good photos, but will force the issue if needed. Most the redness is underneath and up his neck with a little on the tip of his tail. Tail feathers always look blackened, like flea eggs or something but looking close it just appears to be dirty? He sleeps on the floor because he can't jump high enough to get on the bantam roosts (about 8 inches high) but we try to keep it clean for him. The fact that it is on his neck makes me think it is not caused by dirty bedding. He has been free range with 100 other standard and bantams until now. I actually built him and a couple ladies a chicken tractor of their own a few days ago and was moving him into it when I discovered the problem so his ladies are living there alone for now.
He has been regularly treated for mites so I am pretty sure that is not the issue.
Anyone have any ideas what might be happening here? Is this a skin condition common to frizzleds?

44883_2011-07-06_033.jpg

Close up of above photo near breast/under wing
44883_2011-07-06_035.jpg

Neck
44883_2011-07-06_039.jpg

Tip of his tail
44883_2011-07-06_044.jpg

1) I think he is a double frizzle

2)some of my hens that are bare on the back
hide.gif
got sunburned like that I am working on the bareness (Rooster locked up)

3) When you explained this before I saw the pictures I was sure it was mites. How did you treat for mites?

4)maybe he is part naked neck poor guy
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We keep them supplied with food grade diatomaceous earth to dust themselves and we keep their nests and bedding sprinkled with DE and spray the coops, roosts, and the chickens with a pyrethrin spray every 14-21 days. We are fighting scaly leg mites in some of our standards so everyone gets treated at the same time. When I first noticed the black funk around his tail a few months ago I thought mites but we have treated him over and over. It may be that someone picks on his tail and I just haven't noticed because he is the dominate rooster among our bantams. I got him from Ideal Poultry and he is suppose to be a purebred frizzled, just didn't think such a well known hatchery would be so irresponsible as to b reed frizzled to frizzled knowing the result. The pattern of his redness doesn't appear that he could have possibly gotten sunburned. It hurts to even look at the poor guy because skin like that would be painful on me!!

Back
Top Bottom