Red Star/Sexlink Hen with RIR Rooster

cmdacus

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Does anyone know what kind of chicks a Red Star/Sexlink Hen with a RIR Rooster will produce? Will I have more sexlink chicks? If so, how do I tell the difference between pullet and cockerel?

I currently have a barred rock hen sitting on eggs. My rooster is a RIR. I know the eggs from the barred rock will be sex link but I'm not sure if she is sitting on eggs from the red sexlink hen.

I appreciate all the help.

No, you will not have sex links - the linkage does not carry into second generation breedings. You will have to differentiate the genders the same way you do other non sex linked chicks. You'll know at hatch which chicks are from which hen's eggs - those from the BR will be black (female having no head spot, males having a head spot) and those from the RSL hen will be reddish.

No, you will not have sex links - the linkage does not carry into second generation breedings. You will have to differentiate the genders the same way you do other non sex linked chicks. You'll know at hatch which chicks are from which hen's eggs - those from the BR will be black (female having no head spot, males having a head spot) and those from the RSL hen will be reddish.

X2 on Ol Grey Mare.

Back
Top Bottom