Red tailed hawk won't leave...hanging around for 3 weeks haaw haaw haa

N. Virginia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
darn hawk won't leave...why is it crying ALL the time? hangs around the house, hangs around the bard (where the chickens are), sits on the fence outside their stall...I'm afraid to let the girls out. Besides wanting my ckickens, why would a solo hawk make such a racket?
Thanks,
N. Virginia

3 weeks...nonstop! Not that we don't have other hawks around, but not such a persistently noisy one that hangs around and yells all day long. Did it loose a mate?

Quote:
I'd wait a week!!

I finally got rid of mine one year with a nerf gun. Only thing I could see freaking it out that wasn't a violation of the federal laws. Mylar balloons, scarecrows with moving heads and big stuffed dogs help, too.

It's a juvenile on it's own or partially on it's own. The constant calling is a plea to the parents to "come and feed me."

Quote:
Love this idea. hawk gets what it needs and gets the heck away from your chickens.

I think it's calling it's friends to let them know it knows where the mother load is! I doubt wildlife rehab will do anything since it's not injured, and dnr will do nothing.
I've considered adding a top to the outdoor run to guard against winged predators, other prey is available to them right now, but when winter comes it might be a different story

Back
Top Bottom