1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red tailed hawk won't leave...hanging around for 3 weeks haaw haaw haa

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by N. Virginia, Aug 19, 2011.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    darn hawk won't leave...why is it crying ALL the time? hangs around the house, hangs around the bard (where the chickens are), sits on the fence outside their stall...I'm afraid to let the girls out. Besides wanting my ckickens, why would a solo hawk make such a racket?
    Thanks,
    N. Virginia

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has it been around? Sometimes I have some hang around for days. The noise you say its making sounds normal.

PS: Don't let your chickens out until it has been gone 24 hrs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    3 weeks...nonstop! Not that we don't have other hawks around, but not such a persistently noisy one that hangs around and yells all day long. Did it loose a mate?

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I'd wait a week!!

I finally got rid of mine one year with a nerf gun. Only thing I could see freaking it out that wasn't a violation of the federal laws. Mylar balloons, scarecrows with moving heads and big stuffed dogs help, too.

5. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    What color is the tail? Juveniles have brown bands on their tail and can be very vocal.

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Could be a baby that lost its mama or a youngster out on its own that is still insecure (thus calling for mama).

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    might call wildlife rehab and they could come move him- since he sounds like he is too young to be on his own maybe?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a juvenile on it's own or partially on it's own. The constant calling is a plea to the parents to "come and feed me."

9. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:Love this idea. hawk gets what it needs and gets the heck away from your chickens.

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I think it's calling it's friends to let them know it knows where the mother load is! I doubt wildlife rehab will do anything since it's not injured, and dnr will do nothing.
    I've considered adding a top to the outdoor run to guard against winged predators, other prey is available to them right now, but when winter comes it might be a different story

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by