Reducing flock the old fashion way

Dgevry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Ok I started this in a different thread and got minimal replies so I'll try this.

I have too many roosters. I need to fix this so I need to butcher.

problem is

I have no water on site and live in the city where chickens are not allowed

I need to know is there a way to butcher on my waterless farm using my 5 gallon buckets I bring up with me or do I have to kill the Roos up on the farm, put them in an ice chest, bring them to the city and finish the job in my back yard?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Do you have a way to heat the water you would bring up? Like say one of those turkey fryer things? I have yet to process a chicken but I am going to have to soon as I have 2 roosters that I don't want and that is what I am going to use. But I would think that if you go ahead and gut the chicken and pull off as many feathers as possible you could fine tune it at your home.

How many is 'too many"?

I would take, "city where chickens are not allowed" to mean not keeping, raising etc. Bringing them how to butcher shouldn't be an issue, as long you get it done the day you bring them home. (the whole rooster crowing thing)

Also if you just want meat and not skin, you wouldn't need that much water for skinning and dressing.

I plan to get one of those with my next pay check I think that will get the job done nicely.

I have 23 Roos. I want to reduce my numbers down to a more manageable number.

I was thinking of dropping that number in half so I can better manage my flock

And I am allowed 0 chickens 0% of the time in my city and I'm a public figure and they like to crucify my with the rules just ask the codes officer.

You will need water, but you can haul water and ice in coolers or other containers. I use a turkey fryer and a big potato pot. In order to heat the water, fold a bath towel and place it on top of the lid, this will help heat the water quickly to scald the birds so that you can pull the feathers. You will need to do this on a windless day, or in a place that will block the wind, as the wind can take the heat away from the pot, and make keeping the flame going difficult.

I would suggest culling, scalding, plucking and gutting at the farm, place in cooler with ice and water and when returning to town, wash the bird again, package and freeze.

The having to haul water and ice will be determined by the number and size of your coolers. I think an average size cooler will hold 3-4 birds is all. I would want plenty of room for ice and water so as not to ruin the meat. The number of coolers is going to determine how many birds you can process at one time.

Mrs K

i wait till all the birds are steped to the after plucked stage and have them in cooler then gut them and it seems much easier to gut them when they are cool ..the inards come out together and easier...but thats just the way i do it....and it works better for me...jeff

Back
Top Bottom