1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redwood Incubator - Leahy Favorite ARTICLE with Pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyHatch'en, Jun 26, 2009.

1. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    You see fellow poultry, game bird fans....there are sweet deals out there. I true wood incubator made generations ago will bring new life into your flock. Leahy was only one company who made redwood incubators...I personally would love a 4 or 6 tray Leahy...Good Luck folks in your hunting for one.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Junkman, I have yet to determine what my Leahy is worth if I decide to sell it. I want to keep the tradition of incubating eggs alive but how can you put a price on something like this....?Depends on who wants and needs it most. First timers can't appreciate it nor have the need. Won't sell it to them. I hate to sell on e-Bay. They don't need to make anymore profits from sales from me.
    Anyone that will offer a fair price is the next owner.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If you've got it working and it's six or more drawers - I'd think it's value lies in the 400 - 600 range.

I swear I'm looking every day for more of them - even if I WILL have to borrow the money to get them.

I really like working with them. Unfortunately Ebay is the most widespread network I know for sales. There are incubator and farm classifieds where you might sell one - I ran across an incubator sales site when googling the antique ones.

I'm hooked. Now I need a barn or workshop for restoring more than one at a time. [​IMG]

4. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

Somebody please please buy the Montgomery Ward (Leahy) bator that is currently on offer in the Everett WA Craigslist (seattle.craigslist.com)...

I can't stand if the guy just dumps it or something, a grand old 'bator like that, and I can't afford it and what would I do with that big a bator anyway?

Somebody rescue it!!

5. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I contacted the seller of the Montgomery Ward 'bator. Here is his reply:

"It has 4 drawers and Im not sure if it will keep it's temp, when I truned it on last it had this really bad smell so I turned it off rather quickly. The fan runs very quiet and worked perfecty for the few seconds I had it on. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know."

Geez. For this he's asking $195? What if nobody can get the smell out? What *would* cause that smell and how *would* one get it out?

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Rotten egg in an incubator can make a bad smell, worse if it got onto an element. Burning wiring harness doesn't smell nice either.

I'd offer him 150 if I had it. It's probably worth what he's asking but I'm cheap. Imply bad wiring makes bad smells and is dangerous and see if it gets the price down. The wood alone if it's intact is worth what he's asking.

7. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    I'm in Ga too and we just put a leahy incubator up for sale under the "Everything else" section here. It has 9 racks (8 egg racks 1 brooder rack) Holds 1000 eggs and works fine.

8. upsman

upsman New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
  9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I put a website on line for Sunny Creek Farms & Hatchery, guy's name is Don, check it out:

http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net

I am not sure about this model of Leahy, but Don has MANY parts and manuals and if he can't help you, I would bet he knows where you could look next. I got manuals for my two Humidaires from him. He sells and buys used incubators of many different brands, but he also carries parts and manuals and also services used incubators. He will talk to you 24/7/365 so that helps a lot across time zones.

I should add that calling him works best...Don is just getting to know his email.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. jake mashburn

jake mashburn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Battle Ground
    I have a restored montgomery wards modle #35LZ-36658 modle # 46-06 187 watts 110 v ac my grand father and I restored it back in the mid 1970s it has 4 large trays a 3 section water pan twin wafers and for insulation they used layerd asbestos cloth. I have hatched 1000s of chicks and it is hatching as we speak I just love it if any one knows where to buy any replacement parts let me know I live in battle ground wa. near vancouver nothing is wrong with it now but I would like to have replacement parts on hand for when ever I may need them I am not even sure what year it was made but I think 1940s or 1950s or even early 1960s . my phone # is (360)687-9704 and my e-mail is [email protected]
    I am also on facebook along with other poultry friends
    if any one can even tell me more about mine I would sure welcome the imput also would like to get a copy or buy a orig. operators guide on my incubator also it has a forced air fan in it . keith bjelland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by