1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Refreshing the Flock in the New Year

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chuckles1330, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    So my 4 girls are now "Ladies who lunch." When Spring arrives they will lay an egg once in a while, but not daily, and that is ok. I decided to increase the flock and purchased Buff Orpingtons from OKChickens and Lavender Orpingtons from Bargain. Didn't get them started at the same time, but had awesome hatch results and as of this morning, have 10 new fluffy butts. The Buffs hatched right after Christmas (28th) and the Lavs hatched yesterday and last night.
    Here are the new babies:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two of the Lavs I left drying in the incubator this morning, and will add to the brooder when I get home from work.

Been a while since I had chicks at the house, and just wanted to share. [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    So very cute!

I'm sitting on my hands to keep from ordering chicks. My pullets have just started laying in the past two months so unless I have one go broody and let her hatch a couple or there is a catastrophe, I really have no business getting chicks this year. But pictures like yours sure make it tempting!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Congrats on your hatch!

Nate

4. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be an odd question, but are those marbles in the water? Does that makes the bowl not tip over?

5. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Sometimes the marbles are shiny and the chickens peck at them, thus helping them learn where their water is. They do help keep the water from tipping over though. They also help so the chicks don't drown.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, the original purpose is in keeping the chicks from drowning.

Congrats on the chicks though [​IMG] I've yet to truly need to replace my oldest hens for production, but, I hatch new chicks each year anyway. [​IMG] It's addicting!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:
    Marbles are there to prevent the chicks from drowning in the water. You might be surprised at how easily this can happen. So the marbles don't let their little heads too far into the water when they're vulnerable to their sudden attacks of falling asleep *just like that* <*snaps fingers*> face first into the waterer.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wow how exciting [​IMG][​IMG] on the new kids. I love [​IMG]What a perfect time just before summer to watch them growup outside. I love my Blondie she is a 5 lbs Buff Orpington!! Great bird and very friendly and good around my grand baby. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by