Refrigerated Fertilized Eggs

makcar

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2018
I am speaking to someone selling fertilized eggs that I want to buy to hatch. The person selling told me that they refrigerate the eggs. Does anyone have insights on this? I do not refrigerate my fertilized eggs because I would think that it would prevent them from hatching once its time to throw them in the incubator... HELP

Refrigerated egg "can" still be hatched, but I think studies have proven that viability is definitely decreased by colder temperatures.
Maybe ask that they keep some for you out, without refrigerating them?
Not true, sorry, i on a egg farm. If you keep the eggs at 65-68 degrees it slows the growth of the embryo with no damage. Anything below will kill it anything above will let it start to grow before killing it. It can be stored that wY for about a week allowing u to store more eggs and incubate at the same time

Not true, sorry, i on a egg farm. If you keep the eggs at 65-68 degrees it slows the growth of the embryo with no damage. Anything below will kill it anything above will let it start to grow before killing it. It can be stored that wY for about a week allowing u to store more eggs and incubate at the same time

I'm sorry, but if you do just a quick search here on BYC you will find plenty of evidence of refrigerated eggs hatching. Trader Joe's is a popular market that sells eggs, keeps them refrigerated, and many people hatch them. I personally collected eggs from a duck's nest after several days of near-freezing temperatures, and many hatched. So while I believe the viability is compromised at lower temps, I know for a fact its not impossible.

I am speaking to someone selling fertilized eggs that I want to buy to hatch. The person selling told me that they refrigerate the eggs. Does anyone have insights on this?... HELP

Refrigerated egg "can" still be hatched, but I think studies have proven that viability is definitely decreased by colder temperatures....

My insight is that once the contents of an egg reaches about 40 degrees Farenheite that the embryo dies and it becomes evermore impossible for the embryo in question to grow, and develop little less hatch.

I guess the ground kept my duck eggs from actually freezing, but they had been outside for several days of temperatures with overnights around freezing, getting up to maybe 40’s during the days. She was still in the process of building her nest, so not sitting overnights yet. But the night that we were supposed to get a heavy snow, I collected the eggs. If I remember my notes correctly, 5 or 6 of the 8 that I pulled ended up hatching.
I also find it fascinating that she warmed them at times, then they got cold, then she re-warmed them, and this repeated several times over those 8-10 days! And they still hatched! How cool is that? Lol

Back
Top Bottom