Regarding The New Classifieds / BSA / BST / Buy Sell Trade System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have over 20 breeds, plus multiple colors of several breeds. I vary my auctions according to who is laying best. Before I could go to the archives and relist. Now I would need to delete the auction I don't need and put up a new one , add pics etc. each time. Before people mostly bid the last day of the auction as they were set to expire. Since they no longer expire, I don't know if they will bid at all...Sure miss the old system where I could pay my feed bills. Any body want to buy a couple hundred chickens? Deb

As a real newby to both BYC and getting involved in forum, I want to express that the only reason I joined BYC was for the old auction format. I had found through my involvement there that I really love all BYC has to offer. I do like the new format and props to you for taking this step. I no longer look to BYC though to purchase hatching eggs nor chicks; nor would I look to BYC for anything related I want to buy.
hit.gif
I have resorted to just straight purchases from breeder websites and ebay.

I feel certain it is a very real desire for BYC to find a solution to the hole created by dumping the old auction system, I look forward to the fix and will be back to bidding on the BYC site or the affiliated site if that is the right solution.
thumbsup.gif

I, too, have numerous breeds and numerous colors/varieties of each breed. I can't think well enough to count them all out today, but I'd guess it's around 25 or so.

Perhaps a partnership with one of the existing auction sites would be a better choice, or link the user database to an existing auction software package-run site...because the classified system is not going to be able to take the place of auctions.

One of the things about auctions is that the frenzy of competition and proxy bidding drives the excitement of the system. It's more than exchanging hands full of eggs and money- it's an experience involving community and competition, and while the 24 hour auction thread got that way occasionally, it requires all parties to be in front of their computers simultaneously. This will not occur on a large enough scale to support classified selling due to schedule restrictions. In order for that to occur, each seller would have to regularly come back to their page on a pre-determined deadline, and so would all of their bidders. THEN, they would have to 'reset' the auction for future bidders, who would have to figure out where in the thread the 'current' auction starts and when it ends. Do you see the complications piling up here?

Now- you also have to see that this could get VERY ugly with simultaneous auctions and bidding for 23 other breeds and colors. The threads would be too complicated to navigate and bidders would bail. Not good when a seller is trying to put food on the table.

Next, the lack of proxy bidding means that if trying to sneak in under the wire with a bid, multiple bidders would be putting up the same bid with the same increase increment, and there would be mass confusion in trying to figure out where the bid actually is (under pressure) and then who made the first highest bid. It could be worse if people on dial up were participating, because they would (rightly) feel at a disadvantage. Proxy bidding is the way that buyers and sellers are most comfortable, feel like they have a fair shake, and what we REALLY want.

I really encourage you to look into other software packages and the possibility of tying 2 sites together if it's going to be obnoxiously difficult and delayed to put a workable auction into this system. I DON'T WANT to go elsewhere, but I can't earn as much or have proper control in classifieds. My New Year's Mantra is:

I will not knowingly complicate my life.

A normal auction setting is necessary for me.

Exactly my thoughts except said with some intelligence.I was trying to find auction links yesterday to see what was out there, but with my knowledge of what to look for, I figured I'd just drop it and hope someone else would find the answer with something workable.

I find this thread very interesting and eye opening. There are some valid points here on the auction format work around, proxy etc and it is being taken into account and discussed.

I also have to note when we first opened the auction system we had threads telling us how much people hated it, it was too cumbersome, they wanted classified only, it was driving prices down the toilet, people would leave because of it, It would change the dynamic of the forum in a bad way etc... The very same basic commentary that is now appearing because proxy bidding is gone for the moment.

People have raised valid points but based on past experience it is change that people hate most.

During the whole process there have been hours of discussion on the auction system and looking for an alternative. This has not ended to this day. There are some options out there, but they would never accommodate the traffic and sales volume of the membership, especially into the peak season. More immediate bandaid options would force another move once a good reliable option is found if it didn't crash first. Then there would be a very upset group of sellers and buyers stranded. There are the factors of set up, learning a new system, dealing with a member database that could not be tied to BYC, loss of auction archives and the list goes on.

In a perfect world the whole thing would have been finalized before the move, but this was impossible. One thing I do know from my time here and my experience with Rob and the crew is this will be resolved, but it has to be done right with a system that works properly, is reliable, stable, and will see this community into the future.

It is concerning that many GFM and PFM's will not renew as this was one of the main reasons for their memberships.

AMEN. As I regularly peruse the site, it's amazing to me how many are reading in the BST area. BUT if it continues the way it is currently, that will soon drop off. Everyone has Craig's list and essentially that's what it's become.

I've already contacted my two breeders for eggs for the Easter hatch and they were happy to just sell to me with e-mails and PMs.
Most of the reasons for purchasing GFMs and PFMs have been eliminated in the new platform. If I had to be distracted by adds I could do that. Perhaps the adds are much more revenue enhancing anyway.

Many PFMs I have interacted with will not be renewing simply because of the lack of bidding auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom