Regenerative Growth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by burleigh, Jul 20, 2007.

1. burleigh

burleigh New Egg

Jul 20, 2007
    I'm actually not sure what to call it.

I had a Naked Neck hen who, several years ago, had a nasty combination of scaley leg mites and frost bite, and both of her feet fell off.

She prospered, so I made adjustments for her (not to mention she was my personal favorite.)

Over the years, she grew a "toe".

[​IMG]

it grew to almost twice that size by the time she died.

I've had chickens for a long time, and never seen anything like this. Just wondering if anyone else had?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If that's on her ankle, that's a spur, like a rooster would have...My old lady Obelisk has started to grow one also...she's just turned 4.
    My crowing hen Slifer had a 2 inch spur on both ankles. Sometimes old hens get them and some breeds the girls will get them.

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it looked like a spur also.

Sandra

4. burleigh

burleigh New Egg

Jul 20, 2007
    i thought it might have been a spur also, but none of my chickens in 10 years have ever grown anything close to that.

maybe that's a "when your feet fall off" spur?

5. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Quote:I've got to ask. What did you do for her so she could function without feet?

Thanks.

Tami

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree it is a spur that grew out. I had a chick once lose the tip of her toe. Never got a real nail on it but a weird blobby piece of nail would grow out and fall off every once in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by