Regular feed to organic change ?

Your choke full of knowledge U_stormcrow. I will research them a bit before purchase. I’d enjoy trying it out indoors.

Very wise. All I ask is that people review the data, and make the best decisions for themselves and their needs. Its why I tend to link sources and show my work.

Sometimes, I'm wrong. Sometimes, its just not applicable to one's climate, management methods, or risk tolerance. There is no "one right way", there are thousands of wrong ways, however. What's right for one may be (often is) wrong for another.

When I first looked up fenugreek, I read "zone 9-11" and thought, well, another thing that would be great if I could grow it here in zone 5. Then I read more, and I think it will work as an annual (fine by me!) that I can grow and give the chickens some trimmings.

If nothing else, it'll be a fun experiment. I'm wondering about sprouting it in the winter...? I did some barley sprouts last year, and that worked well.
Yes, annual in 5, you can sprout it indoors just fine - most people are going to keep the home steady between high 60s and low 70s. You have a suitable south facing window? (I'm 8a - so annual here, too - but its an annual with a long season!)

Good news is it's not mites or lice, so in my coop I'd probably leave it alone as long as they weren't causing any noticeable issues. Not sure what they are though. Might be something that tagged along with the hay or any other bedding in use?
Rosemary, Thanks for your input. Fortunately, there is not an infestation, but instead, something related to dampness. unfortunately, after rain, the nesting boxes do have some wetness along the inside edges. My girls are still not laying yet and I notice they are digging little nests on the coop floor. I have since put a basket in the coop laying on its side. Its ok If i have to open the coop door from the back to look for eggs. I have not seen them in the nest boxes at all in fact. I hope moving forward they will use them. well, you never know, maybe someone will use them but I hate that dampness along the edges and the little bugs that have appeared. I guess its just a waiting game. I would have wrapped the nest boxes in a tarp, but that seems counterproductive to their overall health with the tarp effecting fresh air or whatever. I dunno, I hope my lack of experience doesnt make for a bad habit of them just laying eggs randomly on the coop floor. Time will tell. Everyone is thriving in the meantime. 🐥 ❤️

Rosemary, Thanks for your input. Fortunately, there is not an infestation, but instead, something related to dampness. unfortunately, after rain, the nesting boxes do have some wetness along the inside edges. My girls are still not laying yet and I notice they are digging little nests on the coop floor. I have since put a basket in the coop laying on its side. Its ok If i have to open the coop door from the back to look for eggs. I have not seen them in the nest boxes at all in fact. I hope moving forward they will use them. well, you never know, maybe someone will use them but I hate that dampness along the edges and the little bugs that have appeared. I guess its just a waiting game. I would have wrapped the nest boxes in a tarp, but that seems counterproductive to their overall health with the tarp effecting fresh air or whatever. I dunno, I hope my lack of experience doesnt make for a bad habit of them just laying eggs randomly on the coop floor. Time will tell. Everyone is thriving in the meantime. 🐥 ❤️

Are they top-opening nests? Those are notorious for leaking along the seam.

Caulking cracks in unprotected areas might help.

Likewise adding protected vents to improve airflow and the ability to dry out any moisture that gets in.

Are they top-opening nests? Those are notorious for leaking along the seam.

Caulking cracks in unprotected areas might help.

Likewise adding protected vents to improve airflow and the ability to dry out any moisture that gets in.
not top opening. it opens in the front where u see larry's hands. moisture coming in on the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 2
Has the joint between the metal and the wood been caulked?
Larry mentioned caulking things when its dry enough. i just hope everyone gets a place to lay an egg. i'm about to put a bunch of cardboard boxes in the coop! i did put a basket laying on its side in the coop, but who knows what they"ll do. I think they think the entire deep bedding floor is meant for their nest. whatever. Live and learn!

Larry mentioned caulking things when its dry enough. i just hope everyone gets a place to lay an egg. i'm about to put a bunch of cardboard boxes in the coop! i did put a basket laying on its side in the coop, but who knows what they"ll do. I think they think the entire deep bedding floor is meant for their nest. whatever. Live and learn!

I had one hen who was a determined floor layer when she was young. I ended up taking all but an inch or so of bedding out until she decided that the nests were more comfy.

Back
Top Bottom