Regurgitation before flight

nxd10

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Question for more experienced users . . .

My three racing pigeon pigeons all seem healthy, of good weight and good, consistent flyers.

I took them out for a flight today and opened the crate. As always, they moved to the open door and got ready to fly. One then began regurgitating a small number of dry whole seeds (6?) , looked around seemingly happily, and then flew off. The other birds followed her.

I'd never seen this before. Should I worry yet? There's no other signs of vomiting.

Probably ate too much and/or didn't get anything or enough to drink. Or she could have gotten car sick, which happens occasionally. Especially if they have eaten before the ride. I've had it happen on the way to the club when shipping for races. But I don't feed them before training tosses so I don't have the problem any other time.

Rollers will do the same thing,sometimes before flying sometimes after. I think its just excitement and or eating to soon before getting to fly. It doesn't seem to hurt them.

Thanks to all. They flew again today and seemed fine. I think she may have eaten some seeds left in the carrier and just wanted to dump them before taking off.

Like Mary of Exeter I never feed prior to flying. Birds trap in much quicker if hey are hungry and expect to be fed - absolutely necessary where I fly because of the hawks.

Good advice. The hawks here are nasty. I think the little flock was hit by one a month or so back. They came back scattered, incredibly mussed, and over the course of 24 hours on what should have been a three hour flight.

Back
Top Bottom