1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Regurgitation before flight

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by nxd10, Dec 11, 2011.

1. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Question for more experienced users . . .

My three racing pigeon pigeons all seem healthy, of good weight and good, consistent flyers.

I took them out for a flight today and opened the crate. As always, they moved to the open door and got ready to fly. One then began regurgitating a small number of dry whole seeds (6?) , looked around seemingly happily, and then flew off. The other birds followed her.

I'd never seen this before. Should I worry yet? There's no other signs of vomiting.

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Probably ate too much and/or didn't get anything or enough to drink. Or she could have gotten car sick, which happens occasionally. Especially if they have eaten before the ride. I've had it happen on the way to the club when shipping for races. But I don't feed them before training tosses so I don't have the problem any other time.

3. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Rollers will do the same thing,sometimes before flying sometimes after. I think its just excitement and or eating to soon before getting to fly. It doesn't seem to hurt them.

4. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks to all. They flew again today and seemed fine. I think she may have eaten some seeds left in the carrier and just wanted to dump them before taking off.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Like Mary of Exeter I never feed prior to flying. Birds trap in much quicker if hey are hungry and expect to be fed - absolutely necessary where I fly because of the hawks.

6. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Good advice. The hawks here are nasty. I think the little flock was hit by one a month or so back. They came back scattered, incredibly mussed, and over the course of 24 hours on what should have been a three hour flight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by