Rehabbed Rock pigeon (?) building a nest on my patio

wjpike1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
There is a pigeon, I think a Rock pigeon, that has decided it lives at my house. A friend of mine saved it after it had been hit by a car and re-set it's wing. She couldn't keep it and we had an empty small chicken coop so I offered to let it rehab there and potentially stay since we thought it may never fly again. Well, one day during cage cleaning, it flew out of the coop and onto the roof, during a light rain storm, and them off several houses away, and then was gone. We though, "Well, I guess Evelyn can fly, lol!" About a week later, she came back. I gave her some seed which she was very happy about and set up a "roost" with some tree branches atop an old bookshelf I had out on my back porch. She comes and goes every couple of days, sometimes daily. She's fun to watch and is funny because she will land by the kitchen window and look in to let me know she is home and hungry. One time she landed by the kitchen door and walked right in. So one day it was very stormy and windy and I wanted to provide some extra protection from the elements so I blocked off one half of one of the shelves on the book shelf and put a small branch in there and some food so she might go in there. She did. Not often, but occasionally. Well this past week, I have noticed that she is collecting grass and straw and bringing it back in there. She is building a nest back there! The other day when she flew out onto the neighbors roof, there was another pigeon over there. Does this mean I am going to have baby pigeons in there soon??? If so, will they also consider this their home and stay/return? My husband is putting up with the one pigeon's poop. I don't think he will be thrilled with a flock. Should I relocate the eggs if she does lay any? She is getting very testy about me getting near to put food up there, etc. Any advice?

welcome-byc.gif
Well, apparently Evelyn has found a mate and is planning on starting a family. If you don't want a flock deciding that your porch is home, replace the eggs (she will lay 2 one day apart) with large marbles or small fake eggs. She and the male will take turns incubating these 'eggs'. Eventually she will lay another round which you will have to once again replace.

welcome-byc.gif
Well, apparently Evelyn has found a mate and is planning on starting a family. If you don't want a flock deciding that your porch is home, replace the eggs (she will lay 2 one day apart) with large marbles or small fake eggs. She and the male will take turns incubating these 'eggs'. Eventually she will lay another round which you will have to once again replace.

Good advice.
You could also hard boil the first pigeon eggs and use them as your fake eggs.

Back
Top Bottom