Rehabbing & Releasing Wild Ducklings

Nu Chix To Cash

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Central Iowa
Would love to speak to others who have experience rehabbing and then releasing wild ducks.

We are working w/the DNR and taking on ducklings that have been found. So far the ones we have we have because their mom's were hit by cars and killed. We've helped w/other wildlife but since we have other ducks/chickens the wild ducklings seem to keep coming our way. I don't mind but I want to make sure I'm doing what needs to be done to ensure they have a good chance of survival once released. I'm trying to learning as much as possible but was hoping someone w/more experience could give me some pointers.

Right now we have mallards and wood ducks. I'm finding the wood ducks are a PITA (saying that in the nicest way) compared to the mallards. They seem to stress a lot more (so far I think our rate of survival is pretty darn good considering). I don't pick them up much - just try to make sure their food/water is full as I don't want them looking to humans for food. We've moved the larger mallards along w/some of our domestic ducks out to a larger pen where they can eat grass, bugs, etc. and swim. The smaller wood ducks & mallards are still being kept in a smaller inside pen in the shed.

Any tips or advice?

I just took 8 mallard ducklings to HooHaven here in Illinois for rehabbing and release.

The ducklings couldn't have been more than a day or two old and were running around in the road in the middle of town.

At least in Illinois you need to be a federally licensed rehabber to take ducklings. I have no idea why, maybe because they migrate.

In any case the women who checked them in said wood ducks were very difficult compared with the mallards. This is a link to their web site http://www.hoohaven.org.

I hope that help-good luck with your wonderful work.

Back
Top Bottom