Rehomed Turkey Hen gone broody

RichieP

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Hi All,

First time owner of turkeys and first time posting on this forum..

I brought home a pair of Adult Royal Palms/Crollwitzers 9 days ago, I am planning to free range them so the plan was to put them in their home with a small run for 7 nights until they were settled and then I was going to let them free range without the pen.

While they have been there, The hen has laid 5 eggs and has gone broody and now I am in a dilemma;

Do I take the pen away and risk the chances of her losing interest or becoming unsettled?

Do I just let the Stag roam and leave the hen behind?

Move the Turkey house into a pen but this would mean physically lifting and moving it 20 foot and risk unsettling the nest and have the hen lose interest?

Leave them both in there until any hatchlings appear?

Any Advice is welcomed and Thank You in advance for any replies.

RIchie

Hi All,

First time owner of turkeys and first time posting on this forum..

I brought home a pair of Adult Royal Palms/Crollwitzers 9 days ago, I am planning to free range them so the plan was to put them in their home with a small run for 7 nights until they were settled and then I was going to let them free range without the pen.

While they have been there, The hen has laid 5 eggs and has gone broody and now I am in a dilemma;

Do I take the pen away and risk the chances of her losing interest or becoming unsettled?

Do I just let the Stag roam and leave the hen behind?

Move the Turkey house into a pen but this would mean physically lifting and moving it 20 foot and risk unsettling the nest and have the hen lose interest?

Leave them both in there until any hatchlings appear?

Any Advice is welcomed and Thank You in advance for any replies.

RIchie
Since you plan on free ranging them, why not just leave the door open and allow them to come and go on their own?

Only having the tom and hen, you will need to keep an eye on them when she starts setting. You need to make sure that he leaves her alone and is not constantly trying to mount her while she is on the nest. Your best option is to leave her penned and allow the tom to free range.

Personally I would leave her where she is. I had a friend lose a brooding RP hen to a coyote because she chose her own nesting site. If she is safe where she is, I would let her continue to sit there. As for the tom, what about if you open the door during the day and let him decide? He may want to stay by her while she sits to protect her, or he may want to get out a forage a little.

Back
Top Bottom