Rehoming my roos. Heartbreaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there was Martin my black silkie cockerel he has 4 toes
While some Silkies can be born with 4 toes, that looks like it may have been a cross breed.
This is my first. It something I have to do trying to buck up not cry. I'm in my 30s after all. This 2 year chicken farming experiment has shown me that I love farming and have to harden my heart. Hoping to do a farm apprenticeship next year to better prepare myself. Being single and wanting to be a farmer is such a big goal. One I hope to one day Achieve. I just need to to be able to separate myself better. Something I thought I would be ok at seeing as I used to work in vet medicine and wildlife rehab.
Gosh, I don't think you need to harden your heart and that would just be even sadder! There's a problem with people who feel nothing.

I also volunteered at a wildlife rehab center. It was hard work! And yes not all make it. I wasn't sure how I would react when someone passes. Eventually it became essentially I acknowledge what happened, feel my sadness and discomfort. But understand that not a single one of us is gonna live forever. And this is part of the circle of life. Ugh, I probably won't forget handling dead baby chicks (the sexed males from hatcheries) in order to feed them out. The first time I had to cut one into smaller chunks was the first time I realized that the yolk in fact does NOT become the chick and is instead absorbed into the belly.

It's completely OK to cry, regardless of your age. That is one way that our human brain releases chemicals known as endorphin's in order to help us get over things and be able to move forward. After our first processing day, I cried because my 17 year old daughter took it better than me and DID her part! I cried because I was so proud of her. I'm early 40's and my hubby does NOT participate in culling. He can't handle it... Well, I've seen too many chicken factory videos... and I cannot handle the idea of eating something that was handled and treated so atrociously. No thank you on eating anything that floated down the chlorine blood river! :sick

Now anybody who says oh I could never eat my chicken, I secretly cringe inside about the chicken they DO eat. That they somehow don't have any emotional attachment to, as if it was never alive.

Even with a bachelor pad, not all roos will get along whether they were raised together or not. Dynamics often dictate who stays or goes... into the freezer.

If our boys have enough personality to earn names they still get them even if I know they will be heading to freezer camp in the future. They might even get labeled with their name and referred to in whatever dish we are making like... Ditto and dumplings or High Tower enchiladas. We are aware of where our food comes from. They live a really good life and have one quick bad moment. No more fear than what is standard for a chicken who doesn't want to be caught. No need to be callous or distance myself. I remain calm and know that I'm not killing out of vengeance but out of need to eat. And any other omnivorous animal will also. I make it a quick, painless, and drama free as possible. It took a VERY long time of talking openly with my family before getting to this point. I have since decided to pay someone else to "do the deed", because I can afford to and it's still done humanely. However having the skill up my sleeve has proven immensely useful in chicken rearing when it comes to injury or disease. Without the previous experience that would be a nightmare. If it appears as though someone will not make it... they don't have to die slowly, I can help them out of their pain. Again, I don't enjoy it... but I live with it as part of hatching. I knew going in if I can't do it, then I cannot hatch. Of course that doesn't help when people who don't hatch get oops gendered chicks from feed stores or hatcheries. But now I'm equipped to deal with that to. Not to pretend as though it doesn't bother me. It does, but I'm OK with my place in the circle of life. If it wasn't illegal... I just assume have my family toss me out when I pass and let the other animals have their meal or become compost for the ground. Pass on all the embalming chemicals and stuff going into the land or a casket waiting for an earth quake to push up. :p

Hopefully if they do get to go to the petting zoo, they won't become the little demons I mention. Otherwise, their fate could still be the same and you just might not know it. All are individuals though so hope they turn out awesome! :fl

While some Silkies can be born with 4 toes, that looks like it may have been a cross breed.
I dunno maybe. I thought Martin and his sister Caroline were culls from a someones breeding project. I got them from a lady who sells chickens, rabbits, ducks, turkeys, peafowl, geese, & goats. I asked her if she had sebrights and she called me a few hours later with show quality birds. I’m going to contact her to get me Modern Game Bantam Pullets.

Everyone on BYC, or anyone who has been around for a few years, knows my attachment to my roosters is legendary. But, I've raised quite a few, rehomed a large number (as fast as I can if I'm sure they are not staying because of how quickly I fall in love, so to speak) and I've loved quite a few, some for years before they pass on to Great Roost in the Sky. I completely understand how you feel. The first time you realize you are attached to a rooster, or any chicken, it can take you by surprise. And then, as you spend years breeding and raising them, so many come and go, and you don't forget the great ones.

I find that no matter how I treat mine, ignore them or handle them a lot, since I breed from very easygoing tempered males, I get more of the same almost every time. Their genetic predisposition will generally win out, handled or not handled. So, just think how hard it would be for me to give up my sweet boys, especially if they've made it to breeding age and are still good boys. My late Delaware rooster, Isaac, was affectionately dubbed by my friend as a gigolo, LOL. He loved pretty women, human or otherwise. He has had videos of his flirty ways recorded for posterity. And my big Blue Orp rooster, Suede, was a big old teddy bear, the reason said friend got blue Orps in the first place and later used her talents to create a spectacular beaded portrait of him for me to have forever. And then, there was my Zane, the rooster who became permanently crippled from a fall when he was just about 18 weeks old. I cared for him until he crowed his way out of this world at 4 1/2 years old, the most cheerful and affectionate rooster you could imagine. So, I get it, I so get it. And you, my dear, are just getting started on your rooster addiction! Let others scoff. We get it.
:hugs

Gosh, I don't think you need to harden your heart and that would just be even sadder! There's a problem with people who feel nothing.

I also volunteered at a wildlife rehab center. It was hard work! And yes not all make it. I wasn't sure how I would react when someone passes. Eventually it became essentially I acknowledge what happened, feel my sadness and discomfort. But understand that not a single one of us is gonna live forever. And this is part of the circle of life. Ugh, I probably won't forget handling dead baby chicks (the sexed males from hatcheries) in order to feed them out. The first time I had to cut one into smaller chunks was the first time I realized that the yolk in fact does NOT become the chick and is instead absorbed into the belly.

It's completely OK to cry, regardless of your age. That is one way that our human brain releases chemicals known as endorphin's in order to help us get over things and be able to move forward. After our first processing day, I cried because my 17 year old daughter took it better than me and DID her part! I cried because I was so proud of her. I'm early 40's and my hubby does NOT participate in culling. He can't handle it... Well, I've seen too many chicken factory videos... and I cannot handle the idea of eating something that was handled and treated so atrociously. No thank you on eating anything that floated down the chlorine blood river! :sick

Now anybody who says oh I could never eat my chicken, I secretly cringe inside about the chicken they DO eat. That they somehow don't have any emotional attachment to, as if it was never alive.

Even with a bachelor pad, not all roos will get along whether they were raised together or not. Dynamics often dictate who stays or goes... into the freezer.

If our boys have enough personality to earn names they still get them even if I know they will be heading to freezer camp in the future. They might even get labeled with their name and referred to in whatever dish we are making like... Ditto and dumplings or High Tower enchiladas. We are aware of where our food comes from. They live a really good life and have one quick bad moment. No more fear than what is standard for a chicken who doesn't want to be caught. No need to be callous or distance myself. I remain calm and know that I'm not killing out of vengeance but out of need to eat. And any other omnivorous animal will also. I make it a quick, painless, and drama free as possible. It took a VERY long time of talking openly with my family before getting to this point. I have since decided to pay someone else to "do the deed", because I can afford to and it's still done humanely. However having the skill up my sleeve has proven immensely useful in chicken rearing when it comes to injury or disease. Without the previous experience that would be a nightmare. If it appears as though someone will not make it... they don't have to die slowly, I can help them out of their pain. Again, I don't enjoy it... but I live with it as part of hatching. I knew going in if I can't do it, then I cannot hatch. Of course that doesn't help when people who don't hatch get oops gendered chicks from feed stores or hatcheries. But now I'm equipped to deal with that to. Not to pretend as though it doesn't bother me. It does, but I'm OK with my place in the circle of life. If it wasn't illegal... I just assume have my family toss me out when I pass and let the other animals have their meal or become compost for the ground. Pass on all the embalming chemicals and stuff going into the land or a casket waiting for an earth quake to push up. :p

Hopefully if they do get to go to the petting zoo, they won't become the little demons I mention. Otherwise, their fate could still be the same and you just might not know it. All are individuals though so hope they turn out awesome! :fl

:thumbsup

What a great post! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

my love for my rooster is what made me give up on my dreams of eggs. the whole thing is just exploitation of animals and the cost to sweet boys like my Marty is just too high for the unnecessary eggs
Wait, what... how am I exploiting my chickens? :confused:

I give them everything they need and more. There life here is much better than if they were in the wild living with weather and predators having to search out their own food. Dealing with ticks, mites and whatever else might haunt them. They are gonna lay those eggs whether I collect them or not. And they are eventually going to die whether I eat them or not. They are safe and healthy plus well cared for here. Not left to the perils of the world. They give to me and I give back to them. Only actually I gave to them way before they every even started laying eggs. It's a two way relationship and no exploitation is taking place as far as I can tell. :)

So, let me guess.. you don't eat animals products at all? Or just buy them from someone else who is "exploiting" the animals?

I'm not trying to be ugly or argumentative. I understand that EVERY life has value. I'm simply asking you to share your perspective that I might try to see it from your point of view. I'm open to learning and trying new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom