Rehoming Wyandotte Cockerels?

eponagirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Quiet Corner, CT
It turns out that I have 17 cockerels from my spring chick order from Paul's Poultry (approx 18 weeks old now). They are all purebred Wyandottes: some Black, Blue Laced Red, Black Laced Red and Columbian Wyandottes. All are adorable and cute and this is SO hard! I know they will be trouble eventually since I only have a total of 17 hens (including last years lot of 8).

What are some suggestions for finding decent homes for them? None are aggressive and they are SO handsome, it breaks my heart, but I have to be realistic. I'm sure my neighbors love me right now with all the crowing that goes on. So far they have been in my garage, so the sound doesn't carry until about 8:30am when I let them out. I've read some posts on bachelor coops, I may want to try that...have people had success? Probably not with 17 (they have all grown up together)??

I'd prefer not to send any to freezer camp if possible, so any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated as to what to do with these boys!

Wish you lived a lot closer. I would love to take one of the Columbian roos off your hands to keep with my four girls!!

I am sure you can find them wonderful homes, especially with their breed/color and where they came from. From what I have heard Paul's Poultry is one of the better places to find well colored and show quality Wyandottes. I would start here on BYC make an auction listing and from there word of mouth. If you know any chicken folk or have any community feed store bulliton boards I would post some flyers. I am sure you will find them great homes though! I would love to have a well colored Wyandotte with good confirmation.
big_smile.png
Even the roosters I would love to have one or two of.

I really hope so, they are really neat! Yesterday two of them were after a pullet who got caught in my fencing. Luckily I was able to help get them away from her and get her untangled (it's portable fencing) and to safety. I'll be keeping an eye on them, but wonder if I should now separate the pullets out? Could I put a fence between the girls and boys for now?

Back
Top Bottom