Rejected Piglets?? Anyone raise one??

boilerjoe_96

Songster
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
So A friend of a friend is a hog farmer(finisher). He recently got in a new batch and the packing plant inspected and rejected some of his pigs.

Those pigs are headed for a VERY young death unless someone takes them off his hands.

I will inspect tonight or tomorrow, but so far the word is the pigs were supposed to be 12 lbs upon arrival and were 6-8(a week ago). Some have minor issues, though at this point I am not sure what minor issues are(maybe a club foot I am not sure).

Has anyone ever raised a rejected piglet? For all intents and purposes there isn't anything wrong, they are not sick, I am sure they will taste just fine(right?). I assume they would be behind the 'herd' and would cost more waiting the extra weeks they would take thus delaying the next batch of pigs coming in.

I am thinking of getting 4 or 5(a few days ago i was thinking of 1 or 2 pigs). thoughts?

yes by all means get some of those piggletts.theres nothing wrong with them.the only reason they was rejected is because the contract prolly states the delivery of 12lb weaned piggletts.an those didnt make the weight requirements.you can feed them milk an pig sstarter to get them growing.they should be on feed.

I've never raised one, but Charolotte did ...
lau.gif
Sorry, I couldnt resist. Of course, her's wasn't a reject, it was a runt.

I would get them too. You can raise them on goat's milk, if you have it. Goat's milk is good for every kind of animal.

I would definitely get some. They will taste even better with a lot of TLC
wink.png
Sorry about that, I couldn't resist. One of our sow's milk dried up 2 days after she had her babies, so I raised 9 of them. The only problem is that the 5 we kept to raise to butcher still think I'm mom. If there are any local farms, you may be able to get raw milk cheaper from there than buying it at the store. Ours got baby pig grain, scrambled eggs, mashed avacado, and lots of raw jersey milk. They grew like weeds.

By all means get them!! We do not reject any pigs or cull them out either. We have special pens for them. We keep them and they feed out just fine and taste very good as well!

Back
Top Bottom