Relatives & ducks vs chickens

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So the other day a relative heard I had ducks, and then asked me why I did ducks instead of chickens. They were kind of like disappointed and appalled. (I didn't tell them I have both...actually.)

But it seemed strange to me that they were asking this, and that they thought chickens were so much better than ducks. I don't really get it.

The ducks are way more fun and actually pretty curious. The ducks also follow me around every chance they get and they get upset when I leave them. They seem pretty smart (and yes dumb at the same time). So why would I want chickens over that?

I don't know why they'd be so stuck on chickens.

But maybe its a good thing? If the grocery stores are having trouble, and they are...and if people are 'hunting out of season' now and they are...its a matter of time before they start hunting peoples farm animals. Maybe its good if they are disappointed.

So the other day a relative heard I had ducks, and then asked me why I did ducks instead of chickens. They were kind of like disappointed and appalled. (I didn't tell them I have both...actually.)

But it seemed strange to me that they were asking this, and that they thought chickens were so much better than ducks. I don't really get it.

The ducks are way more fun and actually pretty curious. The ducks also follow me around every chance they get and they get upset when I leave them. They seem pretty smart (and yes dumb at the same time). So why would I want chickens over that?

But maybe its a good thing? If the grocery stores are having trouble, and they are...and if people are 'hunting out of season' now and they are...its a matter of time before they start hunting peoples farm animals. Maybe its good if they are disappointed.
I have had similar reactions when discussing my ducks. People also seem shocked that we eat duck eggs.
i read an interesting article that indicated ducks were originally the preferred egg later but because ducks do not tolerate the relatively poor conditions in commercial egg farming so the chicken became the preferred egg producer.
cheers

Never mind your relative. Ducks are adorable and their eggs are much coveted.

Back
Top Bottom