Religious slaughter Q--NOT INAPPROPRIATE!

BBUTTER

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Louisiana
Ok people, let's keep this appropriate so I can get my answer without having the thread removed, please!

A man approached me to ask if he and his relatives could come to my farm to retrieve live birds for him to process on his own. From the tone of the conversation and other context clues, I gathered that it was for religious purposes. Out of respect, I didn't ask him which religion. He didn't share, and I think he was concerned I would oppose if he told me.

He told me he didn't want white or red birds, but didn't know the breed he's used in the past. He said they were "black ones and yellow ones".

He also wanted to come on Mardi Gras weekend (this past weekend), but I didn't have any available then. I don't know if that date was important to him, or if it was just that he had that weekend available. He's a professor at the local university.

I think he is Muslim or Hindu, but probably Muslim based on some clues.

My biggest question is, WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN DOES HE WANT????

I'll take any and all guesses, but it would be awesome if someone on here actually has experience with this! If anyone knows for sure what religion he is, I can google that and perhaps find my answer! He wants a large amount of birds, so I don't want to get the breed wrong and be stuck with a bunch of birds.

If he is Muslim and looking for Halal meat, I didn't know the breed mattered.

I personally dont know exactly but I figured any animals would do as LONG it was killed the way it should be. There was a thread on Sufficent Self that had that exact method when they take their animals to be butchered according to their customs.

Black birds? Hmmmmm Does Freedom rangers come in that color?
Yellow birds? White Cornish crosses, dunk in yellow dye, no problemo!
wink.png

If you can get a hold of him, meet him somwhere public, bring your chicken hatchery orders and let him pick out the breeds. The n you can name your price on growing them out and butchering them. the longer the bird has to grow out, the more expensive per bird it will cost him.

I know Pure Cornish (non growing fast breed) or the Dark Cornish may be the one he is looking for unless he wants something quick to grow in a short amount of time.

Sounds more like Santeria to me.. if that's the case probably Jersey Giants and any "yellow" DP breed

I would suggest picking your favorite hatchery and let him choose his birds from their available breed list.. providing him with pictures of the birds would be a plus

I did a Google search and discovered an old Mardi Gras tradition; chicken chasing. Just search on mardi gras chicken chase for more info.
Lol, I live near that town. Yes, it's a big deal! But no, that's no what he needed them for, lol.

Well, I talked to him again. He just wanted slower growing chickens and didn't know how to explain that. He said the breed actually doesn't matter. He has a few people that let him cull their flocks of mixed breed barn chickens. That's where he got the colors from. I gave him some price estimates, etc. and he said he'd talk to his relatives and get back to me. So anyway, we'll see where this goes! Thanks everyone!

Yeah I'd see if I can get into any info of what he's used to. I know out here, the hispanic community could care less for gamey types because that's what they are used to, but they don't like whites either. Anything else as long as it is nice and big is good with them, in fact my rumpless Araucanas seem to be a favorite.

Black and Yellow probably refers to random mutts, that or brown-red type colored birds. It really all depends on what they were used to. Who knows, maybe they're used to Oriental Gamefowl. . .

why not ask him??? most people dont hide a religious custom if you are understanding of it. Fear of what we don't know or understand leads to assumptions and false stereotypes. Just ask him.

Back
Top Bottom