Relocating coon

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a raccoon is relocated to another location, he is probably being dumped right into another 'coon's territory and will have to fight to survive. He also will not know where to find food locally and is more likely to prey on easy dinner, like chickens or garbage cans. All State department of resources web sites I have ever seen say to not relocate them. It is in face illegal to relocate them in most areas. Check the laws in your area. You are doing him no favors by relocating him.

http://www.247wildlife.com/dallas.htm

Going
by this fellow it looks to be legal to relocate but you are just making problems for someone else and possibly infecting healthy animals I have painted a coon with a pink stripe down its back so after a friend of mine relocated one 35+ miles could Identify the coon easily after it returned it took the pink coon barely more then 3 days to return we think it had babies

When considering your option to relocate a problem animal and possibly contribute to creating a new problem for someone else, think about how most of us with backyard poultry view "relocated" cats and dogs that are dumped in our rural areas.

Yes, the raccoon was there first and is not a domestic pet, but the situation is similar anyway and the results will be the same.

You can research trappers in your area by checking your local CL if no one is available or willing to do the right thing.

Quote:
Why can the poster NOT relocate them? They are everywhere dependant on where you live, I prefer to relocate if possible as well. I'm not a fan of killing the wildlife that was here before I was if it can be avoided.

The main reason is simple these particular animals carry disease and rabbies, not to mention they are indescriminate ruthless killers. relocating them is just another excuse to give some else your problem. Just think about the chicken raiser down the road 20 miles away who would realy love for you to drop a killer off in their backyard. You realy don't have a clue do you, get serious and deal with this problem yourself instead of having someone else do your dirty work.

Quote:
Why can the poster NOT relocate them? They are everywhere dependant on where you live, I prefer to relocate if possible as well. I'm not a fan of killing the wildlife that was here before I was if it can be avoided.

The main reason is simple these particular animals carry disease and rabbies, not to mention they are indescriminate ruthless killers. relocating them is just another excuse to give some else your problem. Just think about the chicken raiser down the road 20 miles away who would realy love for you to drop a killer off in their backyard. You realy don't have a clue do you, get serious and deal with this problem yourself instead of having someone else do your dirty work.

I have quite a few clues, and one is about you and the way you addressed me.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it except for saying to take and relocate it into the WILDERNESS not into someone's back yard. If you relocate them into the WILDERNESS you are not giving any ONE your problem. You are returning it to it's natural habitat where humans are not encroaching on their lives. I'm aware if you put them in a new location, they MAY have to establish their territory, they MAY have to fight it out. The interesting thing about WILD animals is that it is survival of the fittest. I have no idea why you felt to come off so curt to me, but it was totally uncalled for, in my opinion. I wasn't rude to you nor was I rude to the original poster. I asked why they stated you COULD NOT relocate, when in fact I know many areas you most certainly can. Even if you have to call animal control or a licensed pest control company. They many times have the permits required in many areas to relocate wild animals. If you read what I wrote, you'd notice that i said "I PREFER TO RELOCATE IF POSSIBLE", meaning this is MY preference. I did not say it's the choice or solution for everyone....now did I? I asked a simple question as to why the poster stated "you may NOT relocate" as if this is a federal law in every area of the country. I just wanted clarification, that is all. Shoot them, if you so desire , I don't care what you do on your own land..but I PREFER TO RELOCATE INTO THE WILDERNESS, I mean I have my own personal preferences...that is, if it's ok by you.

I apologize to everyone else reading here, I just have have taken as much of the rudeness I can take today, and this straw broke the camels back. I'm sorry to take this personally and allow it to bother me, I know I should not. Sometimes it just does, I have a low tolerance for the rude and obtuse.

Couldnt relocate them include relocation into the woods away from homes and businesses

Where can you do that so they won't be within a few miles of someone's home?

Here it is illegal to transport any wildlife without a permit, and it's better to just kill them than dump them somewhere else.

You can spread diseases also​

In related news I finally nailed raccoon #2 out of the duo that was wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. Tomorrow I'm going to go find his body.

You are gonna need a lot of gas if you want to keep relocating varmints. You get rid of one and two more show up. I used to think raccoons were cute until I saw what they do to chickens. Now I have one that makes the rounds of all my coops at night. I think someone relocated it because it will not go in a trap. If the wildlife stay in the wilderness, i have no beef with them. If they are after my chickens , i will do everything i can to eliminate the problem. It is a constant war to keep the chickens alive. Even during the day it is not safe, with hawks and vultures killing birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom