Renovating the Little Monitor Roof Coop

Things we did right:

I would heartily recommend a monitor roof for anyone in a hot climate. With the pop door open 24/7 except in dire emergencies and the coop located in deep shade it was never any warmer inside than the ambient air temperature outside and, as previously noted, no rain ever penetrated beyond the roof overhangs.

Nor was it hard to build for a competent handyman.

The structure is entirely sound, due to DH's family habit of over-engineering everything -- though it can be moved by 4 men with the carrying 2x4's in place (we knew we'd be moving to the country eventually). The skids need to be replaced, but that can be accomplished by putting it on blocks during the process.

It *is* portable, though not so light as to be moved without serious effort.

The nest boxes were a good size even for the Brahmas.

The roost was well-placed, above the nest boxes but below the open section of the roof.

The hardware cloth defeated the efforts of a predator -- unable to tear the wire loose it attempted to rip through and failed (we added a second layer over the entire area that was damaged).

It was not difficult to clean out since the large door allowed me to reach all portions of the coop with the manure fork even though I am too short to quite reach the far wall. When the residents retired the man helping me relocate them to the freezer was easily able to reach in and get hold of them without a rodeo. (I would not make a non-walk-in coop any deeper).

The far half of the run was roofed, so that I could keep the food and water out of the coop. The chickens were able to bask in the morning sun and had to get out of the coop for exercise in all weathers. (In a sunnier location the entire run should be roofed.

We had a perch in the run, which was regularly used.
What is a Monitor roof? A roof with shingles? Or specific wooden bracing inside?

Now that we've got the babies out of it we're going to remodel again.

We have to cut the rotted legs off in order to mount it on concrete blocks in a new position down near Neuchickenstein and we have to replace the roof. The repairs we did in 2020 gave the roof another year, but it's time to get it clear off.

Future use intentions are as a broody facility, an isolation ward, and a breeding pen for when I want to collect eggs from specific birds/combinations.

We have to take the ramp off in order to move it anyway and may replace it with steps instead since that's easier for chicks.

I'm also pondering removing the divider in the nests to minimize the risk of a broody ending up in the wrong nest.

Now that we've got the babies out of it we're going to remodel again.

We have to cut the rotted legs off in order to mount it on concrete blocks in a new position down near Neuchickenstein and we have to replace the roof. The repairs we did in 2020 gave the roof another year, but it's time to get it clear off.

Future use intentions are as a broody facility, an isolation ward, and a breeding pen for when I want to collect eggs from specific birds/combinations.

We have to take the ramp off in order to move it anyway and may replace it with steps instead since that's easier for chicks.

I'm also pondering removing the divider in the nests to minimize the risk of a broody ending up in the wrong nest.
Exciting times!! Lots of work, but exciting! So worth it.

Exciting times!! Lots of work, but exciting! So worth it.
I was just moments ago thinking about planning for the winter! I wish we had thought/known to have the roof of the small coop built with more ventilation - like your monitor roof, for example. I have to start researching again how to make modifications to an existing shingled roof. Not necessarily what to modify with, but how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom