Rent a chick! coming home today!

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
OUt of the clear blue sky I received a call from a lady yesterday. Complete stranger, but she had heard I raise organic chickens / eggs. By the way - this is the second clear blue call like this - so I guess word is getting around. In any case she is a photographer who specializes in baby portraits and was wondering if I had any chicks she could buy & use at the studio with the kids.

It just so happens - I hatched 6 on Thursday! So - these are just mutt mixes from the farm so no real value in them. $2 each I say. But I explain they are black silkie mixes - so not the fluffy yellow chicks everyone knows, but fluffy black ones.

She said she would take them all - but only really needed them for a couple of weeks and wanted to know if she could give them back to me when she was done. Ha - Sure I say. No problem.

Then she asks if I know where she can get some fluffy yellow chicks. Tractor supply has them. So she calls them & then calls me back. She said they have them, but she has to buy at least 6 and wanted to know if I would take 3 of them off her hands right away because she only needs 3 & would I also be willing to take the other 3 in a few weeks when she is done with them.

Ha Ha ! So - I sell her 6 chicks & she gives them back + 6 more.

I wish all of my customers were so GOOD!

By the way - she has NOTHING to care for them with so I offered to loan her my brooder (she is giving me 6 free chickens you know - I need to make sure they are OK).

Really nice lady - but she was very concerned that she would have to get up in the middle of the night to feed them : )

I will have to give her a mini class when she comes over next week.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very nice thing for both of you, I know all will work out and the best thing is you may have made a new friend.

AL

That sounds really nice. The only bad thing is she might catch the chick addiction from being too close!
tongue.png

I hope she doesnt expect them to look the same in three wks as they do the day she picks them up. You might ought to throw a few more eggs in the bator and stagger the hatches.

Oh! right! They seem to have that cute little chickness for only about 7-10 days and then all the crazy feathers start showing. Yep, you need to set more eggs!
Quote:

I absolutely agree with you on setting more.

But - I have 10 adult birds in the large coop.

14 - 1 month old birds in the large brooder in the garage

6 baby chicks

+ the 6 she plans to give me.

Thats 36 birds! Any more & I'll run out of space to keep them all!

I plan to keep 1 maybe 2 roosters total. The rest of the boys will be eaten or sold (silkies are kind of tough to eat. Too cute)

So that will MAYBE elliminate 12 of the 36. So lets say 21 hens & 3 roosters (counting the 1 silkie roo I have now).

That is my absolute capacity for adult birds. Plus - at peak I'll be pulling in around 18 eggs a day! yikes.

Not that I can't find customers. But if I add say 12 or 24 more chicks in a staggered hatch over the next month. I will be in real trouble.

I guess I can sell them all. At the very worst case I can take them to the auction on Friday night & move 'em for $1 each. Add that to the $2 I'm charging her for the first sale & I'd break even.

Now - I will talk with her next week about what she wants to do & will probably offer this option. BUT - At the very least she will need to split the egg cost if I have to order any hatching eggs. Those are never cheap & not that many hatch. I only have the 1 mature rooster Wee man - the black silkie banty - & his kids have all proven to look just like him out of the egg.

THANK YOU! I just remembered to drop a note to my photographer friend and let her know I'll have chicks for her to use in April.
smile.png
I appreciate the reminder!

As of today - its 6 weeks to easter.

So If I set more today - I will have them early for the photographer.

If I set them in 2 weeks I will have them for easter.

Hmm - since the photographer is a paying customer who wants to give them back - who should I set them for??

I think I need to get on eBay & find some cool eggs.

I AM LOVING THIS!!! What a fabulous "excuse" for more chicks!! It's amazing how quickly a photographer learned chicken math!

Back
Top Bottom