Renting Out Processing Equipment

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
We're debating buying some equipment, like a plucker, cones, etc. We're also thinking we could rent this stuff out in order to have it pay for itself. Has anyone done that? If so, how do you protect yourself against damage, theft, suing, etc? Is it worth it?

What is the essential equipment needed? I'm thinking:

killing cones
rack for the cones w/ blood catcher
propane burner to put scalding tank on
half a steel barrel for scalding
a "holder" to hang birds from for scalding-can't remember the name
plucker
possibly a SS table
lung remover
knives

I'm thinking they could provide their own ice, bags, propane, and labor. What do you think? Rent this out for $100/day? Is it worth it?

big_smile.png

To protect yourself you would need everyone who rents the equipment to sign a good solid contract, and maybe have some insurance on the equipment itself.

You will also need a good trailer or pickup truck for you or the customer to haul the equipment and carry liablity insurance for them as well as the other equipment. Today's cars just are not set up with taillight electronics or bumpers or any means to handle a towing hitch to haul a trailer. So that leaves you to deliver and pick up the goods. My daughter and her husband rented out bouncehouses for birthdays, parties, etc. and while they made a good profit, the hastle of hauling the bouncehouses halfway around 2 counties (population of 1.2 million within 30 miles radius) got to be too costly in terms of gas used every time gas prices whent up and more importantly TIME for delivery AND pickup every weekend, holiday, as well as evenings and not to mention constant REPAIRS and buying replacemts of exptra bouncehouses to keep on hand just in case one or two was damaged. That got old after 2 years and they sold the bouncehouse business.

Quote:
We were going to see if we could just get the equipment to fit in the bed of a pick up so they could come and get it, or we could deliver for a fee of course. We also have a flatbed trailer if needed, but we'd like it to be as convenient as possible.

Check with all of your insurance companies be it your Home Owners, farm, as well as auto. If they deem this a commercial venture, so if any accident or injury should happen, your claim is then null and void and you may be sued and have to defend yourself in court. That is why so few even consider doing this type of service, just not worth it for the hastle and pitance of a profit that you may glean.

Me just me, if I invested all the time money and effort to get all that equipment--- no way would it ever ever ever leave my property. Other people will not take care of your stuff the way you want it taken care of. It will be stolen, misplaced, broken, and not cleaned.

Simply put----

Mine all mine!

Quote:
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That equip. will be all beat up and missing pieces, with more lame excuses and hard luck stories than it could possibly be worth. JMO

Doesn't seem like you'd make much money when you weigh the demand for the service vs. the cost of equipment and repairs from other people using it. Just a guess though.

Quote:
I don't know, I think we could make a good profit. If we spend $1500-$2000 on equipment and rent it out for $100/day, it'd pay itself off in 15 or 20 "days" of renting. It could easily pay for itself in a summer. Besides, what damage could someone do? If there's motor damage on the plucker, hubby could fix it. The plucker is the most expensive piece.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom