Replacing fake eggs with hatching eggs

Jester57

Songster
Nov 13, 2021
Never having done this before, I thought it best to ask before I actually do it. I've got a broody hen who I've had sitting on fake eggs because she decided to go broody in the coop right in front of the egg boxes, and she kept swiping eggs the other chickens laid to brood over. Right now, she seems fairly satisfied to sit on 5 normal-sized fake eggs, and hasn't been stealing anyone else's.

I've tried moving her, but that's a no-go; she always goes back to right in front of the egg boxes.

So I've decided to let her hatch some eggs, which I've ordered (I don't have a rooster). I ordered bantam eggs (Belgian d'uccle) which doesn't seem to be a problem if I'm reading the forums correctly, The problem is replacing normal-sized fake eggs with real bantam ones. I'm not sure if I should leave the fake ones or take some (or all) of them out. Since my hen has gotten used to sitting on normal sized eggs will she notice the difference? Any advice is always appreciated.

How many banty eggs did you get? She should accept them as eggs and be content. I'd remove the fake eggs so it's now crowded underneath. Good luck with the hatch!

Curious how this has been going? Did she take them okay?
My BCM is my most inclined to broodiness. Nothing stops her from continuing to want to sit on the eggs. And she would take any and all given to her. We finally had to build her a nursery coop so the other hens would quit giving her more 😂

Back
Top Bottom