Replacing fish in the river...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Delta2 23, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    ABOUT 1.3 billion fish were added to China's Yangtze River in an attempt to help restore resources in the region.

Aquatic weeds and millions of shellfish also will be added to replenish the river's ecology, which was damaged by low water levels amid a drought earlier this year, the country's Ministry of Agriculture said yesterday.

The ministry created the initiative in conjunction with five Chinese provinces that border the middle and lower regions of the river.

The Yangtze River was not the only resource badly affected by the droughts. According to the Anhui Fishery Bureau, 140,000 tonnes (154,324 tons) of fish were lost due to reduced lake levels in a single eastern Chinese province. To combat the loss, 100 million fish were released into nine lakes in Anhui province yesterday.

The bureau said that 95 per cent of the lakes' fish and approximately 80 per cent of their plants were ruined because of the drought.

It's interesting what we can do these days.

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Too bad they're doing something now, when the river's dolphin is (virtually) extinct.

[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Water level is the least of the problems with the Yangtze river-- pollution is the primary culprit.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Everything is messed up. Water management, soon to be lost recharge from snow melt, overfishing, and I think introduction of exotics as well.

They have or will soon loose their native paddle fish which is a lot bigger than ours.

5. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I hope these fish aren't predators of the fish that were there first.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I wouldn't be convinced that the Chinese are putting back the same species that were lost. I suspect this is mainly a propaganda move. They have an incredibly bad environmental record.

7. Forrest_Flock

Forrest_Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote:Have you ever seen the sky in the capital ?

[​IMG]

I heard them talkin about piping water from the south to the north where they need it
    pretty much the same drought cause i guess

why am I not surprised ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by