Reptile Club! <3

This is one of mine. Algae is just about getting under control after a battle with it. Bob the snail does a great job :)
20201204_184621.jpg

Tail lashing usually means the gecko is scared. Maybe we can try to help? (Only if you want us to though). Perhaps you could tell us what your your usual interactions are like? Do you try to handle him during the day or only in the evenings? How do you pick him up when you do (grap, scoop, etc). Is his tank top opening or front opening?

Last edited:
I would definitely appreciate some help, so thank you! :lol:
Sounds like Mango is just an amazingly sweet and chill little lady ❤️ Tango isn’t, but that is ok! For reference, my little Hoshi is quite tame these days. He is easy to handle and totally unafraid of me. But he has never been chill lol. He is constantly moving and exploring. So Tango may never be sweet and chill in the exact same way that Mango or other geckos I have seen are, but I am sure he is still tame-able. He might require a different approach than Mango though.

A couple thoughts/ideas:

While you are working on building his trust, I suggest not trying to interact with him during the day. Particularly if you are having to wake him up and physically remove him from his hide, that is getting your interaction off to a bad start (in his eyes).

Instead, wait until he is awake and active in the evenings. Maybe feed him first (Or immediately after) since that seems to be something that is already a really positive experience. The fact that he can be hand fed is a fantastic sign IMO.

Initially (depending on your setup) you may not even want to take him completely out of the tank. Just try to get him used to sitting in your hand or walking from hand to hand. I would also keep those interactions pretty short for now. Maybe 5 min? And slowly work up to longer sessions.

Finally, I would highly recommend this video on gecko taming. While I tend to be generally skeptical of YouTube as an info source, I found this person’s advice super helpful when I was taming Hoshi.

Good luck! I am happy to help anyway I can!

Back
Top Bottom