Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Oh wow... yesterday was a crazy day. I finally have time to post about it. So. It all started with an email from a fellow chicken-lover who knew I was in CT. I clicked the attached link, and up came a Craigslist ad for 3 hens that were 10 minutes away from me. It stated right there in the ad that they would be killed unless a home was found, simply because they got a new flock, and these hens didn’t “mesh well with the chicks”. Which of course they wouldn’t, these are adult hens! But knowing me, I’m a huge sap and just had to take them :rolleyes: So I drove to meet this person, and I ended up taking home 3 free laying hens (as if I don’t have enough chickens). I get home, and these chickens are sitting in a closed box in my yard. One of the chickens jumps out of the box, and right over my fence!:eek: The next forty minutes consisted of my family and I chasing a chicken through thick woods, across a busy road, and all over a huge hill. Let’s just say, it was not how I was expecting to spend my night:barnie Next step was making a quarantine pen that I didn’t have, because this was an unexpected rescue. So, after safely capturing the chicken, I turned the underside of my trampoline into a makeshift pen. Not too shabby. So yes, I am the momma of three new girls that needed a home. Meet Bunny the easter egger (he said she was Amaracauna, but I don’t think so), Smush the red sex link, and RoadRunner the brown leghorn (aka, the run away :rant). I’ll definitely take some better pictures later. So... kill me now, chicken math is a disease :woot

C04C6560-40B1-46E3-A4BE-C53B0FCA2831.jpeg
055A176D-926D-4047-AF79-7C2079745E2B.jpeg

Bunny, Smush, and RoadRunner :D

That’s a pretty good quick quarantine cage
Oh wow... yesterday was a crazy day. I finally have time to post about it. So. It all started with an email from a fellow chicken-lover who knew I was in CT. I clicked the attached link, and up came a Craigslist ad for 3 hens that were 10 minutes away from me. It stated right there in the ad that they would be killed unless a home was found, simply because they got a new flock, and these hens didn’t “mesh well with the chicks”. Which of course they wouldn’t, these are adult hens! But knowing me, I’m a huge sap and just had to take them :rolleyes: So I drove to meet this person, and I ended up taking home 3 free laying hens (as if I don’t have enough chickens). I get home, and these chickens are sitting in a closed box in my yard. One of the chickens jumps out of the box, and right over my fence!:eek: The next forty minutes consisted of my family and I chasing a chicken through thick woods, across a busy road, and all over a huge hill. Let’s just say, it was not how I was expecting to spend my night:barnie Next step was making a quarantine pen that I didn’t have, because this was an unexpected rescue. So, after safely capturing the chicken, I turned the underside of my trampoline into a makeshift pen. Not too shabby. So yes, I am the momma of three new girls that needed a home. Meet Bunny the easter egger (he said she was Amaracauna, but I don’t think so), Smush the red sex link, and RoadRunner the brown leghorn (aka, the run away :rant). I’ll definitely take some better pictures later. So... kill me now, chicken math is a disease :woot

View attachment 1360424 View attachment 1360441
Bunny, Smush, and RoadRunner :D

Back
Top Bottom