Rescue Duck. Please don’t chastise me.

Pics

HeatherMo

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
I asked about the legality of picking up dumped ducks at parks on a duck FB page. Admin told me that has no place on their page and too many people who consider themselves rescuers put ducks in bad living conditions. They seemed pretty irritated by my question and by the discussion is created and shut it down. Oops, didn’t do my homework on their rules. So I found a duck rescue/sanctuary on the other side of Michigan. I was kinda expecting them to come get the duck but he told me to go get that duck right away. I told him I have 5 ducks, 4 females and one drake. The Pekin at the park is male. I’m not sure that’s a very good ratio, he said he thought it would be ok but let him know if the new one gets too aggressive with the others. I also don’t know about the risks taking this duck might have on my own (disease, parasites, etc.), he’s been hanging with hundreds of mallards. I asked if it’s legal to take it, he says it’s domestic and it’s 100% legal, the dnr do not even know what a domestic duck is ( which actually concerns me) Now I feel like this guy is my responsibility and if I don’t get him, he will die after his duck friends migrate out and the park people stop coming and feeding him. I did already try to get him once but wasn’t successful. Not sure if that’s stupid or if it’s cruel not to try to help the poor thing. You who read my story about Annie the factory chicken know I’m cautious but a softy when it comes to animals in need. What are your thoughts about this?

Attachments

• ACB8AD6E-F7EB-472E-B308-65B7B226769C.jpeg
    ACB8AD6E-F7EB-472E-B308-65B7B226769C.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 63
All you can do it try. It will die eventually without food. Are you somewhere it freezes hard?
Yes Michigan. Our winters can be brutal. Do you have ducks? Would I be putting my ducks at risk? not sure how long the Pekin has been in the wild. Probably was an Easter baby that someone dumped at the park. Makes me so sad. I don’t really want more males, my ratio is perfect. But I know it isn’t easy rehoming male ducks because most duck owners already have too many, which creates problems for the flock.

What harm is there in trying if the alternative is death by starvation? Can you put him in isolation away from your ducks long enough to check him over for parasites and to see if there are any other health issues? How do you know he was dropped off and not a natural part of the flock? Why is he unable to fly away with the flock? I don't know much about ducks at all, so maybe these are dumb questions, just wondering. Good luck with him!

What harm is there in trying if the alternative is death by starvation? Can you put him in isolation away from your ducks long enough to check him over for parasites and to see if there are any other health issues? How do you know he was dropped off and not a natural part of the flock? Why is he unable to fly away with the flock? I don't know much about ducks at all, so maybe these are dumb questions, just wondering. Good luck with him!

Not dumb questions at all. Pekins are the all white “Aflac” ducks. They are 100% domestic ducks, most domestic ducks can’t fly more than a few feet up and Pekins definitely fall in this category. Way too big and fat to fly. Which was quite apparent when I tried to lure him in, he was close enough for me to grab by his neck but I was worried about hurting him. I tried to grab him, the mallards flew quickly to the pond leaving the Pekin behind running to the pond. He was still quicker than me and I couldn’t get him before he got back to the pond. After that he was on guard and wouldn’t get too far from the pond.

Last edited:
Yes Michigan. Our winters can be brutal. Do you have ducks? Would I be putting my ducks at risk? not sure how long the Pekin has been in the wild. Probably was an Easter baby that someone dumped at the park. Makes me so sad. I don’t really want more males, my ratio is perfect. But I know it isn’t easy rehoming male ducks because most duck owners already have too many, which creates problems for the flock.
I'm in Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with your weather. I personally keep muscovy. Ducks don't seem carry diseases like chickens do so it's safer to bring a duck into something flock than it is to bring some chicken in. I have brought home swap meet ducks without problems.

If you can catch it, than I would do so. What to do with it afterwards is probably going to be up to you.

Back
Top Bottom