Rescue Duck. Please don’t chastise me.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I think you'd have to "hide" the net behind you if you can. I know if I had it with me I'd have been close enough to grab the little runner but I didn't think of it until I had given up and was on my way home.

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I have a chicken net for my flighty hens when I need it. They have a lot of space and many obstacles, so if they don't want to be caught they wont be. I like that they have all that, but there have been a couple times I needed to catch one. I tried a fish net. Not good. The holes are too big. I hope you can catch him. He is beautiful.

Raenh, BigBlueHen53, MROO and 2 others like this.
  3. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

Go for it!I pulled a dumped duck from a local pond many years ago. I guess they thought a domestic Pekin would be fine with a pond full of wild Mallard and Canada Goose friends.

They were wrong. She wasn't equipped for Maryland winters and her feet froze solid in the ice. We took her home with the whole block of ice we'd chipped out around her still attached to her poor, frozen feet. We thawed her out in a set-tub of cool water and kept her for a week, until she was walking normally again, then took her back to the pond.

When I checked on her, later that evening, her feet were so sensitive to the cold that she couldn't walk and was spraddled on the ice. I couldn't leave her like that, so she came home and spent the winter with my chickens, in a nice, dry pen with limited access to cold water. Come Spring, she joined a friend's flock and lived out her final few years in comfort.

On a safety note, if you need to separate your guest for a bit, a dog kennel would keep him quarantined for a bit. Try your local thrift shop. I just picked up a really large one (complete with a tray) from GoodWill for $8.00, this afternoon, so I know they're out there! And Good Luck!

4. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

A leg hook works, too - it looks like a shepherd's crook with a tighter hook on the end. A boat hook could work, too, if you have one - the kind you use to catch up a line that falls into the water.

Raenh, ValerieJ, blackandtan and 2 others like this.
  5. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If you do bring this drake home you should quarantine for sure. Ducks aren't as disease prone but they can still carry. And if any duck is going to be sick it's going to be one that was owned by an irresponsible person who thinks it's okay to dump a duck.

You'll need to have a long-term plan. Two drakes and 4 hens is NOT a good ratio, no matter what the rescue worker said. You'll either need to find another home for him or get 3-4 more hens. You might be okay with them all together this winter but when Spring hormones hit you will have problems.

6. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    The Pond
    My Coop
    X2 on everthing- good luck.
    I have 3 hens and three Drake's for all seasons and they have only had a couplE Fights, and Drake flocks do exist, so my opinion is to wait and see when mating season comes. If he fights a LOT, THEN remove him :)

Raenh, ValerieJ, Suedan and 4 others like this.
  7. Yes, yes, yes!!!! This all great advice!

ValerieJ likes this.
  8. blackandtan

blackandtan Songster

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    X2 on the leg hook, that’s my suggestion, but I would add that if you haven’t used one before practice on the ducks at home first - it won’t hurt them and there’s a trick to it. It’s super easy to sneak it in too if you hold it down along your leg, not like a big scary net! They’re simple to make too, mines just a wire coat hanger :)

Raenh, ValerieJ, MROO and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hi there! I'm from Michigan, I hope I can offer you some help. If the dumped duck is in no real danger, like injured or frozen to the lake. Sometimes these rescue places are just too overloaded with injuries and ducklings that can't protect themselves to take on any thing that doesn't need immediate attention.
    Mitigating birds are illegal to own/catch unless your a licensed wild life rehabilitation center. They are federally protected. Domestic dumped birds, to stay complacent with the local town and to stay in good graces, I would seek approval from the town/city they are located. Someone has to own this pond, it could privately owned or the city owns it. Trespassing would not be a fun thing to get nailed with.
    To catch this guy, I would win him over by providing treats from your hands. Doing this daily, you how ducks like routine. It would be a slow process but once he earns your trust, you might find easier to get him. You have time before winter hits.
    Yes bringing this guy in would not be a good ratio for your current flock. But you might be able to rehome him, but you might not. That's a bet you will have to really think about. Do you have a way to keep him separated until you can rehome him?
    Quarantine rules (for me) go as - 40 days and 40 feet away from your current flock. If you have a vet that could do a poop sample on this guy, you could get a better understanding of what your dealing with. He might be healthy, he might not. This might cost you some money, but I would rather do this then take the chance of getting my entire flock sick.
    I have found a few rescues here in lower Michigan/Ohio border. I'm on the Lake Erie side. I'll make a list in the morning for you. This iPad is not really friendly with this app, my desktop at work is better for grabbing resources.

Raenh, lomine, ValerieJ and 4 others like this.
  10. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    Yes! Thank you!

Raenh, ValerieJ and onaharley like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: