Rescue ducklings (Niacin/riboflavin deficiency)

@CayugaJana @Miss Lydia I can't even think of how I would do it...it's not like a hunchback type curve, it looks almost more like one hip is higher than the other, like her spine is twisted? It is odd, but we seem to have the same type of scoliosis. Only thing I can do for mine is strengthen the side of my body that's weaker- nothing will align me. I just can't figure out how I would strengthen her weaker side, and I am not sure which side is really weaker. She falls over on both sides if she gets too wobbly, and she can't seem to take one step in front of another, she kinda hops forward or scoots backwards. When I pick her up, I gently pull up on one hip and push down a little on the other and it *looks* like it's really straightening her out. She doesn't mind it at all either. I just can't figure out how I can *keep* her in that position. I thought about taping her legs as if she had spraddle leg, but I don't think that would help because her feet go out from under her. Like when she starts to tip over, she can't pull that leg out from under her body to catch herself. The leg just stays too far beneath her body so she spills.

Bless her heart. I think letting her swim will help some it really helps strengthen their leg muscles. I am not sure what else could be done. Ever seen those bouncy chairs people buy for their babies? or they had them when my kids were young [long time ago] anyway I wonder if you could make a chick chair and put bungies[or something similar] and hanging it onto something so she uses her legs to stand, bounce and exercise her legs. you might have to somehow strap her in to it. Just trying to think out of the box here.

Bless her heart. I think letting her swim will help some it really helps strengthen their leg muscles. I am not sure what else could be done. Ever seen those bouncy chairs people buy for their babies? or they had them when my kids were young [long time ago] anyway I wonder if you could make a chick chair and put bungies[or something similar] and hanging it onto something so she uses her legs to stand, bounce and exercise her legs. you might have to somehow strap her in to it. Just trying to think out of the box here.

I was thinking the SAME thing today hahaha. I even tried making her a flotation device for swimming (it was a fail, but turns out just changing the pool helped enough). I was even thinking of a little walking harness so I could help her but not too much so that she learns how to do it. I had pet rats at one point and thought I had one of their little harnesses still...I'll have to look...but I think it could work. Btw, they did get a little leg massage with coconut oil today. I think Gollum really liked it on her feet and her legs seem to be stretching out a little more. She's even been stretching them out behind her when she's laying down (which isn't something she did when I first got her) and she's hobbling around a lot more yesterday and today. Even though she hobbles on her hocks she's at least moving around. I hope the vitamins help limber her up enough so I can tape her legs and she can learn to walk on her feet.

Those definitely look treatable. Assuming each duckling consumes it all, you can give each one 10 mg of niacin each. And each tablespoon has 20 mg. If they were mine, I would hold back water for an hour. Then give them a concentrated amount. I can’t remember how many you said you had. But assume 1TBS per 2 ducklings.

It sounds like you’ve already done some research. There are other BYCers who have treated the foot with a cardboard and tape. The foot slowly uncurls as it grows. Kinda like a club foot in humans.

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html?m=1
i wonder if she/he could give even more since the problem is severe, this site mention 100 mg as a therapeutic dose.
http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/niacin-deficiency

Doesn't PoultryPedia show some slings for this? I know I have seen some and they were useful.:D

Sweet little duckies! I hope they do well.:love

i wonder if she/he could give even more since the problem is severe, this site mention 100 mg as a therapeutic dose.
http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/niacin-deficiency
That looks like a great resource.:highfive:

I actually hadn’t seen a reference for a therapeutic dosage!

Just for giggles I tried giving my adults some liquid niacin mixed in with mealworms. I let the niacin absorb a little. They gobbled it up in 10 seconds. So I think I will continue to do that about once a week for maintenance.

That looks like a great resource.:highfive:

I actually hadn’t seen a reference for a therapeutic dosage!

Just for giggles I tried giving my adults some liquid niacin mixed in with mealworms. I let the niacin absorb a little. They gobbled it up in 10 seconds. So I think I will continue to do that about once a week for maintenance.
:highfive: I have zero ducks but i love therapeutics and 'sciency' stuff... and the google LOL

I think I will do the brewer's yeast in addition to their b complex (that seems reasonable since it's water soluble). I'll check around too and maybe I'll try two doses of liquid b vitamins a day if I feel comfortable with that. You'd think they'd just get rid of the excess if they don't need it? That link seems like a pretty trusty source though!

Back
Top Bottom