Rescue hen

chimkentender

Chirping
Oct 19, 2019
Visiting some friends we came across a hen who had lost her flock. We decided to ask if we could bring her home with us and make her part of our flock. She isn’t used to human interaction, and we’re traveling 500 miles with her. Ive loaded her up with melon and grapes, toast, high protein chicken feed, water and ice since it may get hot. Her comb is very pale, but it was pale when we got her. I checked her skin over and it’s fine. She had a poop that looked healthy, no worms etc..
I plan on washing her thoroughly with warm water and tea tree oil, spraying her with a topical mite spray and giving her tons of high protein snacks and vitamin water for a week in isolation when we get home. Then introducing her through a crate in the coop for a week before letting her mingle.
Anything else you guys would consider? I couldn’t leave her all alone, she needs a chicken family.
She may not love me now but just wait until I break out the cracked corn!!!
She’s a mix of most likely Australorp and something else. She looks young-ish maybe 1-2years. My flock is australorp/rir and my roo is a mix of both. I have 15 chickens at home
They have a 68sq ft coop and a 100sq ft run. She is changing climates, but it won’t get terribly cold at home for another 2 months or so.
anything else I should consider or do for her? Maybe her comb is pale from stress or depression?
Ive considered just treating her with ivermectin but like I said her poop was normal and other than the pale comb she looks good.

You cannot go by seeing no obvious worms in the poop to rule out worms. Worm eggs and some small types cannot be seen without a microscope and a fecal float. Ivermectin can still treat mites, but I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer to worm her. Ivermectin has lost some effectiveness against chicken worms. Valbazsn dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. A pale comb could be from just going into or getting out of a molt, or other reasons for not laying eggs. Mites are sometimes a cause if she is very pale. Keep her separate for 30 days to watch for any signs of illness (bubbles in eyes, swelling of an eyelid or face, cough or sneeze, crop problems, or diarrhea.) Good luck with your new hen.

You cannot go by seeing no obvious worms in the poop to rule out worms. Worm eggs and some small types cannot be seen without a microscope and a fecal float. Ivermectin can still treat mites, but I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer to worm her. Ivermectin has lost some effectiveness against chicken worms. Valbazsn dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. A pale comb could be from just going into or getting out of a molt, or other reasons for not laying eggs. Mites are sometimes a cause if she is very pale. Keep her separate for 30 days to watch for any signs of illness (bubbles in eyes, swelling of an eyelid or face, cough or sneeze, crop problems, or diarrhea.) Good luck with your new hen.
Hey thanks! Would you use both ivermectin and valbazen? I’ve never rescued before but I feel like she really needed it.

Valbazen is all that is needed for worms. I have used ivermectin for scaly leg mites that were hard to treat. Valbazen has a 14 day egg withdrawal time after the last dose. Ivermectin withdrawal is a bit longer, but as I said earlier, it is not used that much for worms anymore.

Back
Top Bottom