Rescue Rooster with large cyst above eye

Did the vet tell you this was a cyst? If they did, and then prescribed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory for it, that doesn't make any sense. And yes, a cyst can often be liberated with a "flick" of a scalpel. Just had one of those removed a few weeks ago on myself.

The eye has more of the look of sinus infection to me. I would ask the high priced vet for a prescription for prednisone eye drops. I've used this to successfully treat such eye swelling as your rooster has. You need a prescription for it. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/prednisolone-acetate-ophthalmic-suspension/497024/
Vet said it was an abscess .. and something about being not well enough for surgery but would be after the course of antibiotics ..

@Justine Jones you can lance it and drain it, but it will come back. The only way I know if removing a cyst is with surgery, the membrane that the fluid is encased with needs to be removed so the cyst doesn't return.

@aart @azygous @Wyorp Rock tagging some additional experts here, cyst removal?
Thank you sorry the vet said abscess maybe ? I thought a cyst abscess were the same kind of thing ..

Abscess is infected tissue. A cyst is composed of benign fatty tissue, not infected tissue. You can remove puss manually from an abscess and it should be done as the tissue heals faster when you remove as much bacterial pus as possible.

If you tried to remove pus from this swollen tissue and none came out, it may be simple edema from a sinus infection. That would respond to the prednisone eye drops. The steroid works very quickly to reduce swelling of this nature. You should consider discussing this with the high priced vet.

Abscess is infected tissue. A cyst is composed of benign fatty tissue, not infected tissue. You can remove puss manually from an abscess and it should be done as the tissue heals faster when you remove as much bacterial pus as possible.

If you tried to remove pus from this swollen tissue and none came out, it may be simple edema from a sinus infection. That would respond to the prednisone eye drops. The steroid works very quickly to reduce swelling of this nature. You should consider discussing this with the high priced vet.
Thank you 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom