Rescue Rooster with large cyst above eye

Justine Jones

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2022
I have a frizzle rescue rooster handed to me 12 mths ago almost dead from an adult rooster attack.. he has a cyst on his eye vet prescribed him antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication.. $200 all up .. the cyst is still there 2 weeks later The vet mentioned surgery but I haven’t been back .. I imagine it will be very costly and risky for surgery .. can anyone offer advice .. his breath doesn’t smell he’s still eating and free ranging with his 3 large best friend hens Sophia, Dorothy & Edwina .. I’ve read other posts where cysts have been successfully removed .. we love our little Rocket but I don’t like to see him suffering.. can he live with it ? Thank you

Attachments

• 7AA1D59D-9D6E-4C9B-B7EF-A8ACFFC0C0C9.png
    7AA1D59D-9D6E-4C9B-B7EF-A8ACFFC0C0C9.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 26221F80-9798-46E4-BF60-3A9D64CD0BA8.jpeg
    26221F80-9798-46E4-BF60-3A9D64CD0BA8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Did the vet tell you this was a cyst? If they did, and then prescribed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory for it, that doesn't make any sense. And yes, a cyst can often be liberated with a "flick" of a scalpel. Just had one of those removed a few weeks ago on myself.

The eye has more of the look of sinus infection to me. I would ask the high priced vet for a prescription for prednisone eye drops. I've used this to successfully treat such eye swelling as your rooster has. You need a prescription for it. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/prednisolone-acetate-ophthalmic-suspension/497024/

Some antibiotic eye drops can be used. Here we can get the ointments easily, but not the drops without a vet. Saline eye wash is sometimes good, but if there are bacteria, it may require the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom