Rescued bird, is it a hen? Any idea of breed?

I initially suspected that... but who knows what people have come up with these days.
Yes of course I don’t blame you for worrying! But I found the “blue combed chicken” on an article that has the link to the original, so no worries!
9DD508DB-2361-49E2-BC4C-4DCB80D925ED.jpeg

Beautiful chicken! PR and RIR look very similar, especially since PR are bred from RIR (Over New Hampshire Red) And that can trip people up. Especially myself! What I notice, is, that her head is much darker in comparison to the rest of her body. This isn’t something you would see in either PR Or RIR a lot. My guess is New Hampshire Red, only because of this. (This breed is usually shown to have either a lighter body with darker head and neck, or dark body with lighter head and neck with dark hackles. I can’t tell which is most accurate) However, I don’t know a ton about any of the three breeds, so I would rather someone with more experience help out.
Interesting! Thank you for explaining the 3 breeds - they do seem to be well mixed up and rather genetically ambiguous! I have an RIR in my existing flock and she has absolutely wonderful temperament and consistent layer so I’d be happy for any variation of her ❤️👍

Back
Top Bottom