Rescued chick from cat (*Update* Coop page 26!)

Usually when they flop down under the heat and extend a leg and wing, that means they like it. They look dead when they are sunbathing. If she wanted out of the heat, she'd huddle in a corner away from it.

I do have to say, when my 2 girls sleep (they're only a week and a half old) they lay on the edge of the towel I have in there, under the lamp and flatten themselves out and hang their heads down. It worries me because they look dead, but as soon as they hear a noise, they're up!.

I'd be more concerned with his poop. Let's hope that now that he's eaten some bugs and stuff (so you KNOW he ate) that he will have some more consistency to his poops. I was told by a friend of mine who raises parrots, that baby birds NEED heat to be able to empty their crops. Being colder, slows down digestion. So again, keep him eating and warm and we'll keep praying.

Quote:
Thanks Mudsow
smile.png
They're under a heat lamp now. Calissa acts like she's about to have a heatstroke even at the other end of the tub lol. Drama queen. Floyd loves it. His legs were super cold earlier and now they're getting warmer! I have a 75W red heat bulb on one end of the tub. He now goes through spells of standing still, walking around pecking, and lying down on his little side! He even FEELS heavier. He ate the crap out of some organic plain yogurt mixed with a little of his feed!

Here's their setup now.
107047_wp_0000941.jpg

I went to this new feed store about 35 minutes away and talked to the guy there. He gave me a lot of conflicting "advice." He said he kept all his chickens at 95 degrees up through to like 8 weeks! Then he also said to stop the corid and use the electrolytes/antibiotics that he sold me (Floyd is racking up a bill he's not going to be happy about paying later!) He said that I shouldn't put them outside until winter is over, no matter how old they are. He also said to clean his rump, so I did and I mixed up the electrolytes/antibiotics, which the packet doesn't say anything about, and gave it to them. They absolutely hate it. Either that or they just weren't thirsty
hu.gif
it's too soon to tell I guess. What concerns me is when I got home there were two very large poops that were dark dark red, almost black. It looked to be old, coagulated blood. I about had a heart attack. I'm really trying not to panic.

drop the poop in a glass of water, if it turns pink its blood. And the sales guy sounds dumb, start at 95 dropping 5-10 degrees each week till feathered out, usually 6-8 weeks depending on breed. The temp....eh, just make sure they have enough space to escape the lamp if it gets too hot for them, and put your feeder and waterer on the side of the brooder away from the heater, if you leave them under the lamp they're overheat themselves (chicks are gluttons, atleast mine are).

I try not to panic with just seeing ONE poo that seems abnormal. I look for volume/ types to see if there is lots of red poops, lots of runny poop, lots of watery poop.... etc. To me just one weird poop isn't panic, unless it consistently looks weird.

Again, here's a point to the "poop thread" http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
sickbyc.gif

Oh, and I do notice that it doesn't take long for things to move through... With Clara last summer, we had a party and she was out begging ;-)
She would eat some blueberries, and 2 poops later, it would be blue, she'd peck in the mulch and 2 poops later, it would be black, strawberries... you get the picture.
So if he ate bugs and stuff, and he's warm and continues to eat, it should begin to move through like normal.

And as promised, Elinette's online memorial service. I've made a promise to her that I will be more observative with my future chicks so no more have to die like she did. Here's to you Elinette. I couldn't give you the best life, but I gave you love while it lasted. May you rest in peace young girl.

107047_wp_000038.jpg

107047_babies.jpg

107047_wp_000071.jpg

107047_elinette1.jpg

107047_wp_000075.jpg

107047_elinette.jpg

I dedicate this poem to Elinette and all you readers who have lost a pet who were dear to your heart
smile.png

The Rainbow Bridge inspired by a Norse legend, by Steve and Diane Bodofsky

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They scratch through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and feel the air.
All bodies stand still, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Thank you for that poo link! (I'll never say that again, promise). Floyd's poops seem to be in the normal range. His watery ones weren't as watery as the sample picture and had more, you know, poop in it. As for the two chunks of dark and bloody looking poo, I won't panic. BUT is it normal for him to be looking "comfortable" under the heat lamp with his beak parted open? Sorry about all the questions. I really learn a lot from you guys. And by the way, the guy at the feed store mentioned at the end of the chat that he doesn't know much about chickens and told me to ask the lady at the front desk. After ignoring me for some time because it was 5 minutes past closing time, she looked at me like I was an idiot for having a chicken as a pet, then just said "uh huh" and "nu uh." I'm really sensitive. I had to rush out of the store because I was starting to cry. I really dislike people like that
somad.gif

I loved your poem!! It was very well written
wink.png

As for that lady, I feel for you. I am overly sensitive as well
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom