Rescued duckling has a bad laceration around it's neck

SilkiesnFrizzle

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 23, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Just rescued 5 ducklings, this one is clearly smaller than the other four although I was told it hatched the same day. it has a severe laceration around its neck it almost goes around this whole neck. I'm going to try to upload a video so you can see his behavior, it's almost like it's itching him and you can see him just trying to get trying to it and it's making it worse. The owners of these ducklings didn't even mention the fact that this duck had the lacerations I didn't notice until I got home. so I have no backstory on what happened or you know it started and got bigger. Do I just do Vetracycin or will need antibiotics as well. Suggestions on how to keep it from agitating it further.

IMG_20220620_224033322.jpg
IMG_20220620_224009056.jpg

Just rescued 5 ducklings, this one is clearly smaller than the other four although I was told it hatched the same day. it has a severe laceration around its neck it almost goes around this whole neck. I'm going to try to upload a video so you can see his behavior, it's almost like it's itching him and you can see him just trying to get trying to it and it's making it worse. The owners of these ducklings didn't even mention the fact that this duck had the lacerations I didn't notice until I got home. so I have no backstory on what happened or you know it started and got bigger. Do I just do Vetracycin or will need antibiotics as well. Suggestions on how to keep it from agitating it further.
I don’t know much about ducks but I do about cuts. So first if it’s a very deep wound the best thing to have that heal would be stitches done by a professional. However I know that’s not possible for everyone. He most likely appears to try and get to it because it is painful and bothering him. Either way keeping it clean will be the best thing to do, you can use neosporin because it’s an antibiotic ointment and vetericyn as wound treatment is good too. Lacerations should be wrapped to prevent him from trying to get to it and to keep it safe overall. Of course with it being on his neck make sure it doesn’t get wrapped too tight and hopefully it heals. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom