Rescued gosling with botulism

edenparkgosling

Hatching
May 17, 2015
I do not have chickens, I have cats. This morning on our stroll, I rescued a baby gosling with what I've now diagnosed with botulism. He is eating mushed cat food and drinking water; my husband went to get pedialyte. What else should I do? How much water should I be giving him to keep him hydrated? (I'm a nurse, but not a vet)

I do not have chickens, I have cats. This morning on our stroll, I rescued a baby gosling with what I've now diagnosed with botulism. He is eating mushed cat food and drinking water; my husband went to get pedialyte. What else should I do? How much water should I be giving him to keep him hydrated? (I'm a nurse, but not a vet)

It's recommended for chickens infected with it, so I imagine it would be ok for ducks. Treatment is 1 tsp. of epsom salt dissolved in one ounce of water. Use a syringe or crop tube and get it all in his crop. This flushes his system to remove the toxins. He will have a bunch of water poop in the morning or earlier.
One other thing I do when I feel like my animals ingested something disagreeable is I use food grade powdered charcoal. Just a pinch mixed with an ounce of water and syringe that in their mouth. Then another dose in a few more hours. Charcoal binds the toxins and prevents them from entering bloodstream, and they are eventually eliminated in poop. Don't use charcoal briquets! Has to be a food grade type which I found online.

Back
Top Bottom