Rescued Hen: Lash Egg?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I brought home two rescue hens today: a black sex link and a red sex link (I think that's what hybrids they are, anyway). Not sure of ages. Both are very active, eating, drinking, scratching, dust bathing. The red sex link laid an egg in a potted bamboo plant.

The black sex link will be a beauty when she's cleaned up. However, she had a weird poop just a bit ago. On the way home early this afternoon, she had a normal poop, but now it's bad:
20200605_180822.jpg

I went ahead and dosed Corid for both hens. Will deworm next.

I thought maybe lash material, but it's very liquidy/mucousy. Not dense or hard, unable to be cut open.

Any idea what I should do? Or is this symptomatic of salpingitis?

Last edited:
It looks very white in the photo to be lash material, and usually that cannbe cut open. Could it be a large amount of white urates (kidney waste) from her droppings? Hopefully, they will be good additions to your flock. If you see more material like that in the droppings, let us know.

It looks very white in the photo to be lash material, and usually that cannbe cut open. Could it be a large amount of white urates (kidney waste) from her droppings? Hopefully, they will be good additions to your flock. If you see more material like that in the droppings, let us know.
That's what I was wondering. There is just so much of it. However, all seems ok this morning.

Maybe related to her crappy diet or stress?

New question. Impacted crop.

I knew they'd have problems, so I'm bot surprised. This is the other hen - the red. She eats, poops, laid sn egg yesterday. But that crop was very full this morning. I isolated her, restricted food, and massaged.

Anything else? I will get coconut oil soon.

Feels like a bean bag. I've massaged it a bit, and it seems to have gotten a bit smaller. She's had a couple of good, healthy poops. Didn't see worms in them.

She is also very skinny. Worms? I know if she's loaded it can cause blockage.

Otherwise, she seems fine. Energetic, drinking (she'd eat, I'm sure, but no food while I get that crop emptied), preening, dust bathing. And laying.

I brought home two rescue hens today: a black sex link and a red sex link (I think that's what hybrids they are, anyway). Not sure of ages. Both are very active, eating, drinking, scratching, dust bathing. The red sex link laid an egg in a potted bamboo plant.

The black sex link will be a beauty when she's cleaned up. However, she had a weird poop just a bit ago. On the way home early this afternoon, she had a normal poop, but now it's bad:
View attachment 2179137

I went ahead and dosed Corid for both hens. Will deworm next.

I thought maybe lash material, but it's very liquidy/mucousy. Not dense or hard, unable to be cut open.

Any idea what I should do? Or is this symptomatic of salpingitis?
Is this the same bird you just had necropsied?

Is this the same bird you just had necropsied?
YES.
:hit

Everyone reassured me it was urates. I should have treated her then. Those were mushy. And it's the only sign I had until the 2 she passed just before she died.

I failed her....

Last edited:
YES.

Everyonexteassured me it was curates. I should have treated her then. Those were mushy. And it's the only sign I had until the 2 she passed just before she died.

I failed her....
No you didn't. I just had an experience like yours were I didn't do enough research on my hens condition, and I didn't treat/care of her enough. She died to. I felt for a second that it was my fault, but you have to remember that you did everything you could, and would have done more if at all possible. You took her in planning on treating a sick hen, even if that was all you could do for her, you tried and knew she would be sick, you still treated her best you could, and gave her a great las few days. You did the best you could, that is what matters. This loss will only be a learning experience now, I am so sorry for your loss, I understand how you feel! *Hugs and more Hugs* :hugs
Avery

No you didn't. I just had an experience like yours were I didn't do enough research on my hens condition, and I didn't treat/care of her enough. She died to. I felt for a second that it was my fault, but you have to remember that you did everything you could, and would have done more if at all possible. You took her in planning on treating a sick hen, even if that was all you could do for her, you tried and knew she would be sick, you still treated her best you could, and gave her a great las few days. You did the best you could, that is what matters. This loss will only be a learning experience now, I am so sorry for your loss, I understand how you feel! *Hugs and more Hugs* :hugs
Avery
I appreciate the kind words. I really do. But I cant help but feel responsible. If it were my dog or my cat, I'd have taken her to a vet. I am seriously doubting my soundness for keeping chickens. It's not fair. If I can't offer them what they need to be healthy and avoid suffering like that, maybe I shouldn't keep them.

Back
Top Bottom