Rescued pigeon seems agitated

Whitney123

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Central Illinois
A banded homing pigeon landed at our farm last week. He seemed exhausted. We gave him water and food and let him rest. We checked his bands but I haven't been able to find anything on the numbers/letters. We tried to release him the next day but he seemed to have trouble flying. He tried to go hide in our barn but we have a barn cat that would definitely kill it. So we've got him in a large dog cage in the house. He seems agitated occasionally and tries flying/climbing up the walls of the cage. Is this normal? I've never had a "house" bird so I'm not sure if we're doing something wrong with him. He's got bird seed, water, and a box/shelf to climb on and under. Any advice? Thank you!
20210603_182148.jpg

A banded homing pigeon landed at our farm last week. He seemed exhausted. We gave him water and food and let him rest. We checked his bands but I haven't been able to find anything on the numbers/letters. We tried to release him the next day but he seemed to have trouble flying. He tried to go hide in our barn but we have a barn cat that would definitely kill it. So we've got him in a large dog cage in the house. He seems agitated occasionally and tries flying/climbing up the walls of the cage. Is this normal? I've never had a "house" bird so I'm not sure if we're doing something wrong with him. He's got bird seed, water, and a box/shelf to climb on and under. Any advice? Thank you! View attachment 2714795
If he has now been fed and rested for a week he may now be capable of continuing his journey home, whereas he was exhausted as you observed when you tried to release him next day. Some competitors use a widowhood method so he could even have his hen waiting in the home loft. Just speculation...

Can you post the letters andnumbers on his band here for more advice?
There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum on how to trace lost banded pigeons.

He should have some grit too but it doesn't sound like any things wrong with him.

I did put chick grit in with him. I forgot about that.

The band says:

SAM 0787903236 ZA21 029

I tried looking it up but none of the groups seem to have those letters so I was a bit stumped.
That is very strange - doesn't even seem to have a year on it as racing bands do. And to me it's got way too many letters and numbers in a format I've not seen. A bit stumped is an understatement! Lol No wonder you had no luck. Maybe someone else will know, @sourland , @Old_Strain_Lover ?

It is a seamless life band, correct? Or a clip on?
How many bands does he have? That yellow one doesn't look like a registered band type.

Where/what state are you located?

Last edited:
There are 3 bands. I don't really know the types but I could look more closely in the morning. Here's a picture of when he first got here and you can see them better. The blue band has all the writing and the yellow and brown are blank.
20210530_191325.jpg

I live in north/central Illinois. Thank you for your help!

There are 3 bands. I don't really know the types but I could look more closely in the morning. Here's a picture of when he first got here and you can see them better. The blue band has all the writing and the yellow and brown are blank.
View attachment 2714889

I live in north/central Illinois. Thank you for your help!
Yes the blue one looks like a seamless life band. I wonder if the brown one is one placed on the bird before race release and used to trigger the clock for arrival. The yellow appears to be a clip on. Try to find a nearby race club and maybe they can help.

On Google I found the RRV Racing Pigeon Club in Sterling, IL (Rock River Valley club) Is that near you?

Yes the blue one looks like a seamless life band. I wonder if the brown one is one placed on the bird before race release and used to trigger the clock for arrival. The yellow appears to be a clip on. Try to find a nearby race club and maybe they can help.

On Google I found the RRV Racing Pigeon Club in Sterling, IL (Rock River Valley club) Is that near you?
That's about 3 hours away. I'll try to see if there are any clubs near me. Thanks!

I did put chick grit in with him. I forgot about that.

The band says:

SAM 0787903236 ZA21 029

I tried looking it up but none of the groups seem to have those letters so I was a bit stumped.
If I had to take a guess I would say it is a personalized band from South Africa. ZA= South Africa, 21= 2021 year, 029 band number. Sam is probably the guys name, and 0787903236 is the phone number... 078 being the prefix for MTN mobile carrier in South Africa. Someone here in the states probably has a friend over there and exchanged bands with them would be my guess. Could be completely wrong though haha:gig

If I had to take a guess I would say it is a personalized band from South Africa. ZA= South Africa, 21= 2021 year, 029 band number. Sam is probably the guys name, and 0787903236 is the phone number... 078 being the prefix for MTN mobile carrier in South Africa. Someone here in the states probably has a friend over there and exchanged bands with them would be my guess. Could be completely wrong though haha:gig
Wow, well that would be pretty crazy!

Awesome guess!! I was trying to get why those numbers showed in red like a link, makes sense they're a phone number. South Africa - home of the million dollar race. :cool:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom