Rescued this fine young man after somebody dumped him

Tacampbell1973

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2013
Washington State
IMG_20210207_123749_859~2.jpg
Hello. As mentioned my husband and I were on our way to town. On the road just off the main highway we spot this poor fellow walking around loose in the rain. We know almost all the chicken keepers on our hill and surrounding areas and there wasn't any houses in the area near enough for him to get to. My husband supposed that his people must have really wanted to get rid of him because the location we found him in was so isolated and they hadn't even tried to get him off the main highway, and in fact they didn't even pull off the highway. I managed to catch him and we immediately got him home and fed and tucked in. I'm trying to identify what breed he may be. My first thought is a Light Brahma.. I would welcome some help from the experts though.
A side note... We live on an isolated road, only house, forest just past us. I have lived there for 15 years and in that time have seen people dump unwanted cats, dogs, chickens, and drug paraphernalia. I'm so tired of it. I don't know what kind of an animal would dump off a defenseless domestic animal to fend for itself. I have successfully rescued a lot of them but not all. I wonder if the person who dropped the unwanted animal considered what would happen to it. Do they think a dog will revert back to the wild ancestry it hasn't known in 15,000 years? Or a cat? The grim reality is they have no idea how to survive on their own and if they don't get lucky enough to get picked off by one of the many predators, then they will slowly and painfully starve to death. That is unthinkable for anybody who loves animals to comprehend. I considered hanging a sign at the end of the road encouraging anyone with a pet they are no longer wanting to care for to please save a step and drop it off at my house where I can find a home for it. But i don't think anyone would do it. Anyway My new rooster has been named Curby as in kicked to the Curb. He's beautiful and big and I already have fallen in love with him and I would wish the same for all of the homeless treasures out there.🐓🐔🐣🐤🐥🦉🦅

Roosters don't wander off. He was dumped. I had 2 dumped on me before. I am not even supposed to keep roosters, the ones I keep I keep on the down low. When someone dumps a rooster it shines a light on my rooster keeping which is not good. (Not a city ordinance just frowny people in the development that don't do more frown whine and point fingers.)

Thanks to you all for replying. Mr. Curby is adjusting to his new home. He's got two girlfriends and a full grown yearling son. A nice cohesive bunch.nStill hope to someday figure out what type he is. He is so handsome and you know how we chicken people love to brag up our feathered loved ones! I will keep looking and as always my door is always open to any animal no matter what! Thanks again Gimmie birdies and Jed Jackson. I appreciate your help 🤗

I'm glad the handsome devil got a second lease on life, and a good life at that! I do not condone dumping of animals in any sense, but Curby looks like he was well cared for, so we can only hope that he was a loved pet that someone couldn't bare to send him off to a CL dinner and made the uninformed choice to drop him somewhere he might be found? I'm grasping at straws, I know, but it's a much nicer fairytale than someone threw him out of a car window in a heartless act of making him fend for himself. In any case, I'm glad he fits nicely with your setup, a polite rooster really is a golden gift!

Back
Top Bottom