Rescuing abandoned chickens.

You previously mentioned bringing them corn. Are you now bringing them proper chicken food? Even free-range chickens do best with a complete chicken food available.

Some chickens really like wet chicken food: just put some in a dish and add water. You could try that. If they do like it, they will probably rush up to gobble it next time. So you could just sit it in the pen, let them rush in, and close the door while they are eating.

Depending on how hot it is there, you could try livetraps. Put some screlatch on the ground where the trap os, and you can pour water into a bowl in there. Put it somewhere shady though so they aren't trapped in the sun. You need to check a few times a day though if you try this. But I've had great luck catching my birds with them
I’ll keep this is mind, thanks.

You previously mentioned bringing them corn. Are you now bringing them proper chicken food? Even free-range chickens do best with a complete chicken food available.

Some chickens really like wet chicken food: just put some in a dish and add water. You could try that. If they do like it, they will probably rush up to gobble it next time. So you could just sit it in the pen, let them rush in, and close the door while they are eating.
Yes, I have a feeder with layer crumbles in it in the makeshift pen. Petunia was in the pen when we got there yesterday. I’ve been tossing Grubblies in when we leave so hoping I can get several of them to go in at once and then we can shut the door, pick up the pen and take them home.

Today was day four and we’re doing pretty much what you suggested. We put a plank bridge across the creek so all four chickens are on the same side of the creek now. They hide in the brush until I start calling them and then they come running. We built a temporary pen and put it out there with some food. One of them was in the pen when we went out there today. Two of them are already eating out of our hands. View attachment 2336988
Location looks like a glade. A 10' long 1 x 2 should be adequate for getting hens to step up on from roost and be extracted. We did similar last night with about 20 birds roosting in a plum thicket. Plum thickets are thick and thorny.

Do not approach Rose, instead, walk behind her, so that her natural movement is toward the other birds away from you toward the pen. Put a small pile of treats just inside the door, and a larger pile deeper in, and you should be able to get them.

Back
Top Bottom