Research on worming chickens with albendazole

Pics
One of my hens was looking thin and then I saw a roundworm in droppings this week-ugh!
sickbyc.gif
Based on various posts on this site, I decided to worm my hens with Valbazen (albendazole). Afterwards, I had some serious second thoughts, which led me to do some additional investigation, which ultimately calmed my nerves. The recommendation to use Valbazen was a good one! Thanks to BYC!
love.gif

The article that calmed my nerves describes research done on broilers using 3 dose levels of albendazole (5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg/kg body weight) and then measuring the effectiveness by doing necropsy analysis 7 days after treatment. Here is the link to the journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how I’ll manage my flock:
1. There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter. Incidence:
o Ascaridia galli (roundworms)—73% adults; 80% larvae,
o Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)—100% adults; 73% larvae
o Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)—100% adults; 100% larvae
o Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)—53%

2. There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3. Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4. Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5. Conclusions:
o Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:
- 2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen
- 4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen
- 7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

o I’ll not eat the eggs for 2 weeks, although since albendazole is used in humans, this is probably not essential.

I hope others find this useful.

If treating for tapeworm is this dosage above a recommended dosage? Thank you for this article.

If treating for tapeworm is this dosage above a recommended dosage? Thank you for this article.
Albendazole is effective on some tapeworm types, but not all.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/albendazole
If you want to be sure to get the tapeworms you are better off using a product containing praziquantel, as it's effective for all types.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/praziquantel
Most people get either Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse wormer and use those for tapes.
Equimax has more praziquantel so requires a lower dose, so that's a little better, but either will work.
Dose for Equimax is: Dose is 0.03 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10 days (6 pound bird would get ~0.2 ml, which is 1/5 ml).
Dose for Zimectrin Gold is: Dose is 0.06 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10 days (6 pound bird would get ~0.35 ml).

When I give my hens their de-worming medicine (Albendazole) I measure out .25ml per 5-6lb hen (as directed by my vet). I use a dropper with measurements to get the dosage right. Then I drip the medicine onto a very small piece of bread for each hen, so the bread is soaked with the Albendazole. It's easier to administer to my hens this way, as I'm usually doing it by myself. They'll either eat the soaked bread out of my hand, or I force-feed the soaked bread to each hen. Either way, I find it easier than using the dropper while I'm holding them (and of course, they're squirming the whole time)! Hope this helps! :)

Thank you thank you thank you as dose so little using bread is the only way to make sure it went down and not around mouth

One of my hens was looking thin and then I saw a roundworm in droppings this week-ugh!
sickbyc.gif
Based on various posts on this site, I decided to worm my hens with Valbazen (albendazole). Afterwards, I had some serious second thoughts, which led me to do some additional investigation, which ultimately calmed my nerves. The recommendation to use Valbazen was a good one! Thanks to BYC!
love.gif

The article that calmed my nerves describes research done on broilers using 3 dose levels of albendazole (5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg/kg body weight) and then measuring the effectiveness by doing necropsy analysis 7 days after treatment. Here is the link to the journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how Ill manage my flock:
1. There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter. Incidence:
o Ascaridia galli (roundworms)73% adults; 80% larvae,
o Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)100% adults; 73% larvae
o Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)100% adults; 100% larvae
o Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)53%

2. There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3. Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4. Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5. Conclusions:
o Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:
- 2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen
- 4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen
- 7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

o Ill not eat the eggs for 2 weeks, although since albendazole is used in humans, this is probably not essential.

I hope others find this useful.
Thank you for this! I'm dealing with this now.

Back
Top Bottom